Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So Who Has a Piper-Based Project In Work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So Who Has a Piper-Based Project In Work?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri)
    Although I have not personally seen it, I have heard that there is a clipped wing and shortened fueselage J-3 based in Grants Pass Oregon. Not to far from my home field. I have a engine to install on a Super over there sometime in the next month or so. I will see about looking it up and getting a few pics.
    Brian,

Sounds good. It would be an interesting airplane for sure. Not structurally the same as the P-2, but interesting none the less. I'd love to see pictures!

Cheers!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Joe, Isn't there a shorten fuselage J-3 in the EAA museum? I heard it didn't fly very well by an aerobatic guy.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard, the owner is not a very prolific tailwheel pilot and it suposedly sits most of the time. I also do not know what it has for an engine either. I am definatly going to go ahead and look for it the next time I am over there.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    It looks like they used a direct attachment to the bottom of the jack screw and geared the motor to the drive. Now, if we knew which motor and gear ratios. I suppose a C......a flap motor would work.
    I found the following in Grainger. Pretty sure they will have something usable for a electric trim if this one is not it.

Gearmotor,50 RPM,Torque 10,12VDC,TENV
    DC Gearmotor, Parallel Shaft, Nameplate RPM 50, Input HP 1/90, Gear Ratio 74:1, Voltage Rating 12VDC, Full Load Amps 1.1, Overhung Load 13 Lb, Full Load Torque 10 In-Lbs, Totally Enclosed Nonventilated, Ambient 40 C, Thermal Protection None, Motor Type DC, Rotation Reversible
    Grainger Item # 1LNH2
    Price (ea.) $68.70
    Brand DAYTON
    Mfr. Model # 1LNH2
    Ship Qty. 1
    Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
    Ship Weight (lbs.) 1.73
    Usually Ships** Today
    Catalog Page No. N/A

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EAA J-3

Hi,

I wrote a friend of mine over in Oshkosh with a question about the clipped J-3.

......Hi Gary,

.......Is there a shortened fuselage J-3 in the EAA museum or one that belongs to some affiliated guy over there? The topic of short wing Piper planes came up in a news group I read.

Hi Jim, Yes there is a shortened Cub that use to belong to a fellow called Pete Meyers. He was an Airline pilot that did an airshow routine during the convention years ago. Also Adam Smith, our museum director has one flying but only the wings are shortened. He bought it about one year ago. In years past the conversion was called a Reed conversion. I did one of those years ago and I may still have some drawings for that. We are leaving next Friday weather permitting. Hope this helps.

Gary Buettner

Post Thanks / Like

I am building a clipped wing cub using Colt wings and tail and a Spraker fuselage. I plan to keep it light for LSA category. I will be using a 0235 presently flying on my Colt and want to keep the wings in an unmodified state. In order do do this I plan to reverse the aileron cable hook-up like a PA-16. A good idea from frankenpacer is the use of a titaniun rod tailwheel hook-up. I will make a bracket to attach it to un-modified airframe in case I ever find the need to use flat tailwheel spring.
    I know of one exp cub using tripacer wings so it is possible and will make a good inexpensive project.

Jim Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jim, I would run the aileron cables like a Cub. The Clipper bottom cable runs from the stick mixer, up the strut and to the bottom of the aileron bellcrank. A Cub runs from the pivot on the bottom of the stick, up the strut, through the wing and to the top of the aileron bellcrank. You could probably leave the balance cable behind the rear spar instead of behind the front spar like in a Cub.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    Since it is important not to mod the Colt wings I am in process of building a torque tube with two aileron horns 180 degrees apart. It is going to have only a single stick so at the back I will have a second horn where the other stick mast would have been. This way if the reversed aileron cables don't work out I can move to original hook-up. I saw your posted photo of the zero thrustline lower fitting that is about 1 1/4 longer. Does the attach bolt come thru from cabin side and screw into threads in this fitting? Also what does the top fittings look like?

Thanks
    Jim Miller