Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Headliner bows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: headliner bows

Quote Originally Posted by tim bandy View Post
    Sub and Andy---

I have the CD with the drawings----
    I thought I might take some 1/8 chrome molly sheet (or maybe 3/32) and make a curves form. Then cut some narrow strips of CroMo sheet --- lay the strips onto the buck and slowly and carefully start working the 2 edges over. I think I should be able to make a buck that the shape is a blend of all the curves so I can slide it toward one end of the buck or the other to match the print. The hard part might be making a clamp to hold it down and centered at the beginning of the process. Maybe I could make the cross section of the buck a "T" shape by welding a heavier piece on the bottom so I could use a regular c clamp....

I did see a whole roll of stainless steel hollow tubing at my local surplus store. Looked like it may have been about 3/16 OD. I wonder if that might be OK ????

Thanks for the thoughts

Tim
    Stainless steel tubing is much heavier than aluminum, but some other folks on this site have used it and say it works pretty well. Your chrome moly sheet idea is way too heavy, complicated, time consuming and will rust. Really? 1/8 " thick sheet steel? or even 3/32"??? Let me make sure I understand what you're suggesting...You're going to make 8 unique bucks for the eight unique arch supports and bend flat sheet metal into channel arches as was done originally. By hand. With a hammer.

The original channel steel from Piper was about .010 or .012" but you're talking about metal that is 5 or 10 time thicker and heavier.

Do yourself a favor - Re-read what I posted and think about it for just a minute or two. It's easy. I made 5 new bows in about 2 hours, and they are light, strong and will never rust. I forgot to say that you can pound the ends flat on an anvil and drill the holes for the little number 4 screws. You can order the aluminum 6061 from online metals supply in 4 foot lengths and get it in about a week.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 02-25-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: headliner bows

sorry sub--- I think you mis-read or I wrote muddy---
    The raw material for the ribs is THIN steel. The buck would be as thick as the inside width of the formed part (looks like it could be 1/4)
    The idea was to just make one buck---- have it generic shape+size but slightly tighter curve than needed --- (spring back)
    should be able to hand form and adjust each one as I go to match the outline---- only want to have to make 1 buck.

I dont think you could just make the buck the same shape as the finished part and have it come out right any way----

A few years ago I fabbed a V shaped curved trailing edge where the sweep was away from the flanges---- kind of a pain as the the flanges were about an inch wide. Used the same idea of a steel buck and starting with flat sheet. That one took about 3 tries before we got a good one. (and 3 or 4 anneal operations to not crack) But it worked OK. Just had to take steps to ensure the material stays centered on the buck--- and try to work it slowly and symmetrically. That paper thin steel shouldnt be any worse than THAT was-----
    (but I could be wrong now--)

But -- yes--- there are maybe easier ways----
    The stainless steel tube I was referring to is Paper thin and about 1/4 inch dia. Some kind of military or space shuttel stuff---

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Headliner arches

I Googled "headliner bows site:shortwingpipers.org" and found several old threads without much info but merged this thread with one I found where Harold showed how he made his and they turned out great. Look at page one.

Post Thanks / Like

It's stuff like this (https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ll=1#post96296) that really inspires me to subscribe (ie, financially support) to this site.
    The knowledge of so many of the members, and the diligence which Steve shows with time and effort (I understand he has a day job of some sort too) makes this one of the most economical and valuable parts of airplane ownership.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

This is why this is a great place ! everyone has the same needs--- lots of people working independently on solutions !
    That's what sets America apart from many other countries !
    some of that eastman tubing they make tent poles would be interesting if it could be found in a small enough diameter.
    I think its 7075 alloy----- and some pretty stout stuff--- but I think its heat treated pretty severely so I dont think you could just flatten the ends like you would like. The fuel line might work but its designed to be soft and bendable.
    Graphite -epoxy might be neat--- but way too much trouble.

This roll of SS tubing looked like it might be about 1/2 the thickness of brake lines. I will look closer the next tome I am there. They were mentioning they wanted to get rid of the whole roll because it was aggravating them and they had had it for years.....

For steel ones- I have not found any chrome molly sheet thinner than 025 or 032 anywhere. It would have to be some other less strong flavor i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Liner Bows

Hi all, I'm going to be installing my head liner here shortly and have notices that some of my Bows are broken. Is there some where I can buy NOS or new ones?

Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Headliner bows

Merged with a previous thread on the subject. Google is your friend. "headliner bows site:shortwingpipers.org"