Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "D" Windows

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "D" Windows

Here is a clearer picture.
    IMG_20190517_101735.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir. And I will throw this question out there as well...For someone who has the time and some tooling resources [mill, lathe, 20T hydraulic press, welders [oxy, mig, tig]], and likes to build things, could these be formed in the shop...and how would you do it?
    Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Roger That; 05-17-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess if you made a die and stretched the material around it. I have seen a video of Univair making the part but cannot find it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I made mine and it turned out fine. I bent a piece of tubing as far into a curve as I thought I could go without buckling. I used my circular saw with an abrasive disk to cut in a slot on the inside of the curved tube. I then put the end of my 1/8" thick steel square in the slot and began flattening the tube over it. The square kept the tube from getting too thin for the plexiglas insertion. Several times I had to recurve as it was trying to go straight as I was flattening. The two edges needed dressing after all the stressing to look right. Another of my more time than money projects.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago made a close approximation the worked on a PA-18 or of 3/8 channel, two pieces back to back and tack welded. Wile a little wide, they did work. It was a PA-18A that never had rear windows. Stretched the outside channel and shrunk the inside one to get the shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of links I found that, along with your suggestions, have given me some idea of how I might make these...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1jcBG3iS6k a youtube video from MCSRepair on bending Piper 3/8 in. channel

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...at-stuff/page2
    Post #48 - photos of another forming die set similar to the above to bend Piper channel

Thanks for everone's help. I think I will try something along these lines to make these window frames. Will post if I have any success. Will deny everything if I fail...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Hillbilly
    If you cover your fuselage as Piper did according the drawings-Section B-B of drwg 13925 it is not a problem. However I covered mine with 3 pieces of fabric. The first covered was the belly. Then from top center spine down to the bottom longeron on right side and then from the top center spine to the bottom on the left side. This leaves no seam across the top of the fuselage at the juncture of the vertical tail. Only a seam along the top center spine and up the leading edge of the vertical stab.

If you do it that way you cannot wrap the fabric around the piece of u-channel that forms the butt rib shape above the window frame that has the clamps on it in the previous pictures pictures. There is only 3/8" horizontal surface to glue to. When you shrink this are it will pull loose and the fabric will hang straight down instead of making a sharp 90 and then another sharp 90 where it goes around the butt rib former. We welded a piece of flat stock 4130 about 1 inch wide and the length of the u-channel to provide an extra area to glue the fabric too. You can see this piece clamped to the u channel in the previous post. When completed it is not noticable but gave me additional tummy comfort it was not going to pull loose. Cover it according to the drawing and it is not a problem. I did not want to use an envelope-it was covered with one when I got the airplane and was ugly. I did not want that seam at the base of the vert. stab that runs out to the longerons either so I came up with a way to get around it.
    Attached is a picture of the plate welded on Steve's airframe and a picture of my fabric where it makes the 90 and another 90 around the butt rib 3/8 u ChannelFabric support.JPG[/attachment] The picture of the fabric was taken when I realized I had a problem and before I solved it. The Fabric was on shrunk and starting to pull loose due to insufficient area to glue to. On my fuselage I made a plate out aluminum and screwed it with #4 PK screws to the U-channel to provide addional area to glue to after the fact. That solved the problem without removing the fabric. The airplanes Steve has done since then he has welded on this plate so he has adequate surface to support that fabric. After you study the drawing you will see how Piper solved it. I like my way better. The last picture is the FIX above the rear door as taken from inside the airframe after the fabric was completed.[attachment=3:3id3hac6]Fabric.JPG[/attachment:3id3hac6].[attachment=3]

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shelbysautosales View Post
    Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    shelby - I found the original post by Gilbert, but no photos?

Post Thanks / Like

Default d window

Hi all

what year did did the Tripacer change from a "D" window To the square one?
    thanks
    shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: d window

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Hi all

what year did did the Tripacer change from a "D" window To the square one?
    thanks
    shane-o
    Roughly 1956. The same time they added the split front seats and the humped instrument panel.