Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Rib stitching the Colt wing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rib stitching the Colt wing

Me and Wifey stitched our first rib yesterday. She got the hang of it pretty quickly. She has IMG_6450.jpegthe sciene knot down pat now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rib stitching the Colt wing

I make needles from welding rod, grind a point on one end, flatten the other and drill a hole. Much easier to run about half a dozen needles at the same time. Makes rib stitching go a lot faster. Can do a wing in about 4 or 5 hours by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a great idea. I made one out of a coat hangar and I works better than the ones I bought. I tried telling the wife that I am the IA on this job and she has to do what I say. You can imagine how that went. Ha Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott - I imagine you got the same reply (vertical index finger) as I would,
    if I was silly enough to tell Joy the same thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I told her that I would send her home without pay but she quickly reminded me that she is already home and I don’t pay her ! Then I realized that lunch was approaching and that my chances of getting a sandwich were quickly diminishing so I thought better of my position !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I make needles from welding rod, grind a point on one end, flatten the other and drill a hole. Much easier to run about half a dozen needles at the same time. Makes rib stitching go a lot faster. Can do a wing in about 4 or 5 hours by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We do the same. With dad and myself we can get a pair of wings stitched in about the same time frame, 4-5 hours.

--Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Having never done any real fabric work, are there also metal clips that can be used in place of stitching and/or with stitching? Asking because our wing appears to have metal clips that seem to be working loose. Not sure if that was an option that whoever covered the wings used...but shouldn't have.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Having never done any real fabric work, are there also metal clips that can be used in place of stitching and/or with stitching? Asking because our wing appears to have metal clips that seem to be working loose. Not sure if that was an option that whoever covered the wings used...but shouldn't have.
    Some airplanes were made with "Martin Clips" and there were STCs to use Martin Clips on others. Aeronca used PK Screws on the post war champs and chiefs. There have been a number of possible methods to attach fabric over the years, even pop rivets. That said almost every method except the PK screws ends up damaging the ribs when you try and disassemble the fabric from the ribs. Stick with rib stitching if that is how the airplane was originally built!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    There is an STC for martin clips on Piper wings. I know of a Tri-Pacer with them. The clips have started to egg out the holes in the spar cap and work through the fabric.