Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Speed Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Air Speed Question

IMG_9097.jpg
    Finally have the Super Colt flying. Works great, completely surprised at her performance as was my check out instructor. 17 hours on the motor and all is well. I do wonder about my air speed though. It's been tough keeping power up for break-in and not over speeding. Channel chrome paranoid. The pic is 2300rpm, 130MPH IAS. It was cold out. -20C at the time. The motors an 0-320 A2B with a 74-DM6-0-58. It climbs at 1600-1700 Ft/Min. Crazy compared to anything else I've flown(150&172). Can't say what RPM it'll get too cause I run out of air speed indicator. Are these normal numbers? Will she slow down when the heat comes? Or is a re-pitched required? If I want to go slow and sight see I've got the carb heat pulled. 90MPH at 1600RPM. Pitot static test checked out. Verified the tach. The prop is a fresh overhaul as well. Afraid if I pitch anymore I'll have to bring the wee colt to the Kennedy Space Center for launch. 8000Hrs experience building and only 17 flying it so I don't know. 1582LBS takeoff weight
    Thanks
    Dave Hendriks
    Last edited by Diesel Dave; 01-26-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Air Speed Question

Also forgot to mention, Thank you to all who helped make it happen. Those who know who you are and many more through posts on the site. Great Info.
    Thanks Again.
    Dave
    IMG_3276.jpg
    Last edited by Diesel Dave; 01-26-2022 at 11:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the airspeed matching the gps speed in a no wind condition? Shortenings are fast especially with little tires. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

We did check at one point but never recorded it. I'd have to check, but ground speed is slower for sure. Top of my head GPS was 20MPH slower.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your airspeed indicator may be optimistic if you believe your RPM. Maybe 12 - 15 mph fast at that rpm. Mine indicated fast until I rebuilt my static system and swapped out the ASI for a newer rebuilt unit. Mechanical Tachometers can be off too. I went to digital tach for truth in the universe. If you were indicating 130 mph at 2600 rpm in a Colt, I'd believe it with a new 58" prop. Compare your landing speeds from ASI and GPS. They should be nearly identical. You can also do the triangle run at altitude compared to GPS ground speed and see what you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, the little town with the cool bridge-- glad you've got it in the air, congratulations!!

Mine's getting close (been saying that for a year or two at least) but I think this time for real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is your static hook up to the ports on the belly? Fly a 3 point GPS course 90 degrees to each other, record the ground speed and average them for your actual speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Is your static hook up to the ports on the belly? Fly a 3 point GPS course 90 degrees to each other, record the ground speed and average them for your actual speed.
    90 degrees would require 4 points.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 01-27-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    90 degrees would require 4 points.
    That is what I do but someone told me you only needed to go 3 point. Didn't make sense at the time but I believed them.

Post Thanks / Like

If your static system is open behind the the panel your indicated airspeed will be 10 to 15 mph high. Looking at your power setting, air speed and 58” prop your airspeed indication is highly suspect. At 2300 rpm, 2000’ in my light weight Clipper, 160 hp, 58” prop I would be indicating about 105 to 110. I have a static system and calibrated it by flying a 4 course gps and doing the math to cancel out the wind.
    According to the Lycoming power chart you are only making about 60% power.

Clippers and Vags were delivered without static ports. Several weeks ago I discovered a TriPacer with the static line open behind the panel. Suspect the avionics shop doing an IFR transponder check left it open when they reinstalled the altimeter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-27-2022 at 12:10 PM.