Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back side of the curve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Back side of the curve

So you have the 26 in tires. Hmmm. VGs (if you don't already have them) might help. How you have the airplane trimmed is important, too. I pretty much trim nearly full nose up when landing slow but just remember that if you have to give it the gas for a go-around! All that said, though, I have a buddy with a Pacer that has 26in Goodyears and VGs and he has the same problem - tailfirst and then BAM onto the mains. Bushwheels would help this a lot though not only because of their size but also because if you do come down abruptly on them they absorb the shock. I run Gar-Aero 29's on mine right now but used to have the 29 in Bushwheels. Truly wonderful tires. I miss them. Bring your plane by Birchwood sometime and we'll see if we can identify some other causes.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One thing about landing tail wheel first, your done flying. I always touched tailwheel first in my Clipper and most of the time in the Pacer. I used to watch Howard Pardue land his Bearcat and it was almost always tail wheel first. Probably not the best in the rough stuff I guess.

Check out this tail first landing. 8-)

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11 ... 092926.flv

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap! I hadn't seen that one. Wayne Macky, right? That guy has it going ON!

A real crowd pleaser in Valdez two years ago was when a local guy flew his Pacer more than a 100' at an extreme AOA riding his tailwheel and then dropped his mains over the line. There were some photos floating around of that. I'll see if I can find and post. It looked really cool.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, that's Wayne. Slats, extended cord flaps, zero thrustline and the thrustline lowered and 6" extended gear.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! I don't even know what to say about that clip. Certainly brings new light to landing tailwheel first. He must really have a feel for that airplane to manuver it like that.

Paul, I do have VG's and love em'. Haven't played with the trim a whole lot (as far as extreme trim settings close to the stops) but buy the sounds of it tail first landings may be more common than i think. What can i say, still a pretty novice tailwheel pilot. Im a regular at birchwood though, so mabey ill hit ya up at some point to find out where you are.

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

That's a landing, so how do we make a Pacer do it with short wings????
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Follow this link http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...348&scount=187 to see a Pacer in a similar configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats too funny, You just showed me a picture of my airplane. N4565A

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, now THAT's a landing!! What was the Pacer touch down speed??

Are those regular or extended gear?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

How about that! One for the scrapbook then. I know the former owner pretty well. He really learned to fly it well and took it a lot of places.

He was flying pretty slow there. Can't remember what his landing distance was, though. Standard length gear.

Paul