Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Piper Inspection Grommets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aluminum Piper Inspection Grommets

The other one.....yeah....trying to hide the overlaps and get the pinked edges lines up over them. All the grommets and tapes are on the exterior fuselage. Might do the two grommets just behind the rear wing mounts...haven't decided...Have a good amount of glue removal to do before the final glue top coat. All of the tapes I've either done center line markings or edge markings.....then eye ball down the length to see if they're straight. Will finish the interior tapes tomorrow... Then cover the rudder, stabs, and elevators. Ordered the recover kit from the microVG folks today....with the extended templates for the elevators and wings...no VGs on the vertical stabilizer....dang it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Fixed the link Gary. I glue the grommets on the outside of the fabric unless I am repairing blown out holes on an old plastic grommet and then I will glue on the inside. I also glue parallel like the drawing shows. Center the jackscrew carry-thru tube up by measuring between the rear horizontal mount and then check with your inspection cover. Beware though because a lot of people have made their own over the years and they are not always correct and can limit you stabilizer travel.
    Steve,
    Thanks....mounted the Univair cover parallel with the longeron. Will use your aluminum grommet with nut plates on the inside....will have to make new covers. The old ones are at a funky angle and will not center the horizontal stabilizer in the slot...either side.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Latest progress....

Post Thanks / Like

When yall talk about gluing the inspection grommets to either the outside or inside of the fabric, what glue or yall talking about, poly-tac or something similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poly-Tac or Super Seam. If I am repairing one on a covered airplane I use Stewart's glue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!! Exactly what I needed to know.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a question about the upside down L port at the end of the vertical fin on my newly acquired Tri-Pacer. I flew it home to California from Monterey County California on Sept. 15th with my CFI. On the way, a right wing inspection plate near the flap fell off, and I duct taped it. The L covers on the vertical fin also were vibrating in the wind and lifted the leading edge screws out. Getting it home to my hangar and inspecting the plane I see the L covers are bent and screws are falling out, new holes have been drilled and one of the covers has been repositioned slightly lower, I presume to get a fresh grip on material below for a new screw hole. Additionally, there are two through holes, for two cross bolts that pass completely through. 3/16" x 2.1" bolts pass through them. Are these holes and bolts stock? I see these nice aluminum grommets that Steve produces, and think I need a set along with some new L plates. Where do I get those? Make them myself out of .025" 2024 aluminum and bead the edges? I could do that because I have a bead roller, but time is what it is, and maybe someone has them available cheap that I can order quickly? All advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I made new covers at the elevator....but cheated a bit...used a bead roller to shape it to Steve's grommets... Installed one screw through both plates, couple washers and nylock nut. Think the grommet had four holes...use number four screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Univair sells the inspection covers. You can snip the aluminum grommets and slip them in under the fabric and glue them in with Stewarts glue. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=7545 Problems like this is why I started making the aluminum grommets. I use to cut them out by hand and install behind the fabric to fix the blown out screw holes.

Post Thanks / Like

Or make a set out of used plexiglas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk