Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticks in a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sticks in a Pacer

I am building a stretched tri pacer and wanted to see if anyone had any pictures of how they added sticks to a pacer or tri pacer. I have the Wag 2 + 2 plans but figure there must be a better way to add sticks than what I am seeing in those plans. Thanks for any input.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sticks in a Pacer

I installed PA-16 type sticks in my PA22/20.[attachment=2:3fhd5khr]PA 16 conversion 3.jpg[/attachment:3fhd5khr][attachment=0:3fhd5khr]Stick Control 003.jpg[/attachment:3fhd5khr]
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steven, Excellent shots, I really like it! Does anyone have prints for making up those parts? for such an alteration?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stephen and all.

Steve especially. I started working on the stick conversion CAD drawings for STC application based on photos I took of your Pacer and the few drawings you have sent me quite a while ago. I have not completely "dived" into the project due to some dimensions that I am not to sure of. It looks as though there are quite a few people interested thought so I am going to go ahead and dust off the keyboard and start to going back onto it. I may need to get a few dimension off of you though to get everything set up correctly. Also, if there is anything that you would have done differently I would like to incorporate into it so that there would not have to be any amendments to the STC when it is completed.

Thanks.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, glad to hear that you may go ahead with the stick mod STC, I don't think any major changes are needed for the project. I have aluminum cover that works well. I've adjusted the shape and height of the sticks for comfort and easy exit.

I'm in the process of designing an overhead flap handle which would eliminate having to modify the flap, although, I'm not sure it would be popular as an STC.

What CAD program are you using?

[attachment=1:3v40akcc]Image5.jpg[/attachment:3v40akcc][attachment=2:3v40akcc]PA 16 conversion 020.jpg[/attachment:3v40akcc][attachment=0:3v40akcc]Image3.jpg[/attachment:3v40akcc]

Post Thanks / Like

Some time in the late 90's I talked via phone with a guy I think was in the Mid West who was working on an STC for sticks in a 22/20. I can not remember the name and misplaced the number. Does anyone know who this was. I don't care about the STC since I will use it in my experimental project.

Post Thanks / Like

I've connected with only three others that I know who have made the change, one in Canada, one in the east who did on a "one time" repeatable??? STC. I think he is out of the business and a guy who recently got an STC, but was having trouble getting it to go beyound one time. You should start with the PA-16 drawings. I built a compete PA 16 control system, it took and couple of days. Modifying one out of a PA 16 would be easier, but I can't imagine very many laying around. And, don't part out a rebuildable PA 16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There was a multi use STC several years ago that was advertised in the SWPC News. I spoke with him on the phone and he was no longer selling the STC nor wanted to help anyone with it. He was too concerned with liability. I couldn't even get an "N" number for any of the aircraft that had been modified.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I think this is the same guy from the east coast that I talked to a few years back, and he did advertise in the SWPN. He helped me out with some of the basic information over the phone, but because of precieved libility, would not send me any documented info. He told me that he had FSDO at the time approving each (and he did 2 or 3) installations, one at a time. I do not believe that he actually got a multi use STC, which we should be able to find in the FAA records.

Anyway, the mod is less difficult than the change to conventional gear, I did mine with the plane together and in flying condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephens is the only Pacer I have seen with a stick conversion. Makes me wonder if any of the others are still flying.

Stephen, good idea on the PA-16 drawings. I have the Short Wing Piper CD and can get them from there. Would make the process a little quicker. Also, thanks for the installation pictures. Helps visualize the system a little better.

Talked with my FAA rep about it today and he thinks that is sounds like a viable system. Being that he used to own a Pacer, he made the comment that I get it done he may be looking for another. Only possible hang up that was mentioned was that an aircraft would have to go through flight testing. So, unless I can talk my way out of that, I would need a guinea pig to do a conversion and let the flight test engineer fly it off for the STC.

Till then, I will keep everyone posted.

Brian.

BY the way, where is the spell checker on this thing.......