Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticks in a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sticks in a Pacer

Brian, I don't know if it would help to get one flying sooner or not.......but I have an "experimental" PA 22/20 that could be experimented on. It has actually been into your field before. Norm Neal out of Roseburg used to own it, I bought it from him almost a year ago. If having one to do without having the paperwork hassles would be helpful, let me know. It is 99% 22/20 but somehow the FAA allowed it to be considered a Wagabond Traveller back in the 80's. The only difference in a 22/20 is the engine which has 0-290G cylinders and an automotive alternator, everything else is just like Piper left it.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately Wayne, that won’t work. I know and you know that structurally they are the same. But, in the FAA's eyes, it’s an experimental airplane and the testing would need to be conducted with a certified one. Even though the aircraft will go through several conformity inspections and be put into experimental/research category for flight testing. We went through all this with the 0-360A1P conversion. I do know your airplane though, pretty nice little bird and am glad to here that it has found a good home.

I have been looking through my Piper Drawing CD, and although it has a pretty good PA-16 installation drawing of the control sticks. It does not have any of the component part drawings. If anyone has drawings of the following part numbers it would help.

12163 - Torque tube assy.
    11158-2 - Connector tube assy.
    12166 - Stick stub assy
    12165 - Stick assy
    10911 - Stick knob ( not really needed, but would be nice anyways )
    11897 - Torque tube Block assy ( clamps )

I know that the closer the system is to a PA-16 the easier it will be to get the FAA's approval. Something about having a system that is already in a certified airplane appeals to them.

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen,

Thanks for posting such great pictures of your installation. Extremely helpful. Image three of your second post seems to show the forward pulley for routing the aileron cables. Do you have any pictures of the bracket that was fabricated to install that pulley. That isthe bracket I am having some difficulty coming up with a good solution for. The problem is that the boot cowl attaches at that station and I am concerned about the strenght of the bracket if I push it far enough to the interior to make the bolt head accessible. Thanks again for all your help.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like

[attachment=0:ib1oesj9]Forward pulley.jpg[/attachment:ib1oesj9]

Hope this helps.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a sticked pacer near Palmer AK last summer, and I saw one at the first Johnson Creek Super Cub Fly in... but that may have been Steven's?

sj

Post Thanks / Like

I have never made it to Alaska..... yet. But, I have had my Pacer at the Johnson Creek fly-in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stretchedpacer
    I am building a stretched tri pacer and wanted to see if anyone had any pictures of how they added sticks to a pacer or tri pacer. I have the Wag 2 + 2 plans but figure there must be a better way to add sticks than what I am seeing in those plans. Thanks for any input.

Brad
    Brad, I tried to send you a private message, but I don;t know if I did it right, Did you get it? Gary

Post Thanks / Like

To me, the simple solution would be to route the aileron cable similar to a Clipper. Out the side and up the strut.
    Bob N5656H

Post Thanks / Like

Rerouting the aileron cable should depend on the wing and fuselage type. If the cable already comes down the strut, then it would would be like the PA-16. The only problem being that if your plane has Pacer type landing gear, with hydrasorbs, the control system will not fit under the seat. Rerouting the Pacer/T-Pacer aileron cable is not difficult if you look at the pictures posted, you need to weld two new pulley brackets. The control sytem in this case fits in front of the seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to the shop of the man in up state newyork. he rebuilds motor mont,s. He showed me a convered pacer. I did not owen one at the time so I was not that itrested.It was done at the albany ny fisdo.I do not post much as my spelling is poor but I mite be abel to find a shop name and the owers name if that would help