Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liner Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Liner Tubes

[quote="Steve Pierce"]All that might work on an experimental airplane but if I am signing of a major repair I want to do it correctly. I was splicing the tail on a Clipper today. I didn't have any 11/16" tubing so I took some .095" wall 3/4" tubing to my machinist buddy to turn down to make inner sleeves to splice the tubes via the inner sleeve method

Im sure thats probably the wisest thing to do when working on someones plane for hire. Having said that, I do think there is nothing inhearantly "unsafe" about the other method. if the truth be told, probably poor welding is a greater risk than what kind of tubes we use for the splice. another 2 cents worth Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If anybody wants some liner tubes I had an extra set of 4 made. 4130 .75" diameter .095" wall thickness turned down to .67" diameter with a wall thickness of about .040". Also if you read the 43.13 you are allowed a 1/16" difference so you could use a 5/8" liner tube.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as that goes, I'm a toolmaker, if anyone needs a different size or has trouble obtaining them, I'll be happy to turn them in any size required.

(I have a feeling Steve P is looking at me like I'm retarded about right now )