Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel pants

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheel pants

I have a Pacer with the the univair "taildragger" conversion that has recently had cleveland wheels and brakes added. Any suggestions on a modification to my old wheel pants to get them to fit? I could probably figure one out, but maybee there's a tried and true method I havent heard of yet. I might ditch the old ones and invest in a new pair if anyone has any suggestions on what might fit a little "neater." I guess if all else fails I'll go with 8.50 tires and get rid of the wheel pants all-together.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wheel pants

When I get to work on Monday, I can take some pictues of our wheelpants with the cutout for the disk brake caliper. They are currently off the airplane so are easy to see. On another note, if you still have the nose gear wheel pant, I would love to take it off your hands for our tri-pacer.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian you have it made. I figured Steve made you work all weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Although I have enough work to do all weekend, my wife would casterate me if I did.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ya'll:

I'll vote for dropping the wheel pants and installing 8.50 x 6 tires. Or if you have the money, install Goodyear 26 inch blimp tires.
    Unless you live in Alaska, I''l bet your local FSDO will be reluctant to approve your field approval request.

My PA20 has 8.50 by 6 tires. The diameter of a 8.50 is about 21 inches. The picture compares the 850 tire to a 800 tire.

[attachment=1:1xjiruwq]DSCN0353 [800x600].JPG[/attachment:1xjiruwq]

[attachment=2:1xjiruwq]DSCN0352 [800x600].JPG[/attachment:1xjiruwq]

[attachment=0:1xjiruwq]DSCN0356 [800x600].JPG[/attachment:1xjiruwq]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree. I like my 8.50s and wheel pants probably wouldn't last long on my airplane. The only problem is my wife can't see over the nose at all. I can't see over it too well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am at a decision point on tires for my Pacer. What are the perceived advantages to an 8.50 wheel as opposed to a 6.0 or 7.0? (95 percent of my operations will be on hard surface runways. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think the advantages to larger main wheel tires on a Pacer are:

The prop is farther from the ground and less likely to get nicked.
    You have better floatation across soft fields.
    You can stand on 8.50's and see the fuel cap and fuel without a ladder.
    It looks better.

On the downside:

It is harder to see over the nose.
    Tires and tubes cost a lot more.

With original Piper Fenders, a 7.00 x 6 tire will work and no modification is needed. The Univair STC for 6 inch wheels and disc brakes allows a 6.00, 7.00 and 8.00 tire.

This is a PA22/20 with 26 inch Goodyear blimp tires. They are around $400.00 each and use an over-inflated 8.50 x 6 tube.

Pat

[attachment=0:vgwvrgh2]MVC-351S [800x600].JPG[/attachment:vgwvrgh2]

Post Thanks / Like

What are the airspeed penalties of an 8.50 vs. a 6.00 tire? I too would like to put 8.50's on to take advantage of the VG's, but I'm wondering about the airspeed. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot for the suggestions Brian, I'd like to see those pics whenever you get around to it. I'll probably be off the paved runways more often and make better use of the 8.50's but I do like the classic look of the wheel pants too.I'll probably modify the wheelpants and run them unil I wear the tires out and then look at some 8.50's. As far as the real rough country goes, I'll just walk in for a while longer, I've got alot of flying to do before I feel comfortable that i'm not gonna hurt myself or my plane.

Thanks!

Mike T

P.S. did you have any trouble getting the 8.50's approved on the univair gear?