Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: williams toe brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: williams toe brakes

Yes, the Williams brake assembly is actually a Cessna dual toe set up that has two pivot rods, one for left pedal and one for right. It takes up more space and does move the pedals further aft even than the Univair set. Piper got it right on the Vagabond, Clipper and Pacers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Yes, the Williams brake assembly is actually a Cessna dual toe set up that has two pivot rods, one for left pedal and one for right. It takes up more space and does move the pedals further aft even than the Univair set. Piper got it right on the Vagabond, Clipper and Pacers.
    As usual, Piper knew what they were doing and got it right.

Post Thanks / Like

The installation is a real PITA . I'm about 2/3rds through it when I developed a bad pain in my groin. Bah Humbug I managed to give myself a hernia. Now I'm sidelined from airplane work and flying until I'm repaired and healed. I wonder if the surgeon will submit a 337 on my repair or perhaps only a log entry.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on the toe brakes. DON'T !!

The turning radius isn't much changed! I used to fly with the seat pulled up now it's all the way back. It adds 5 Lbs. I still don't have the parking brake set to my satisfaction. Maybe I'll like it better after a few more hours. I got the kit used without the steering pushrods. The pushrods I bought from the STC holder required a lot of adjustment.

I keep coasting by my ramp as I reach for the brake handle.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by pmanton View Post
    Here's my take on the toe brakes. DON'T !!

The turning radius isn't much changed! I used to fly with the seat pulled up now it's all the way back. It adds 5 Lbs. I still don't have the parking brake set to my satisfaction. Maybe I'll like it better after a few more hours. I got the kit used without the steering pushrods. The pushrods I bought from the STC holder required a lot of adjustment.

I keep coasting by my ramp as I reach for the brake handle.

I have to agree to disagree but will agree.

Toe Breaks add nice individual breaking. Nice to have when one break decides to fail. Had no issues with the parking break setup and has worked as good as Cessna if not better. But where I will agree is the serious loss to leg room. Anybody taller then 6' will not work. I know I personally installed them and I have used them for two years. Im 5'10" guy and now need my seat to the back and even there its kinda tight ................. With the old setup I need to go least one notch if not two, to be comfortable to reach the pedals. In my new Pacer with the toe breaks from Piper its the same I need to goup one or two notches.

Conclusion if I could re do it I would have just installed Cleveland breaks with a break boost. Im sure there was STC for this.
    Last note the William toe breaks does have the STC for Cleveland Breaks for the conversion.

I ended up selling my Pa 22 CF-KIS and bought a Pacer. Love it!!

Post Thanks / Like

FYI,
    Just exchanged emails with Peter Morrison, the guy that has the Williams STC. He said: Yes I still make and sell them complete kit with paper work is $3,200.00 US.
    New email: morrisonpeter42@gmail.com
    Link to info page: http://www.shortwingpipers.org/images/1986_001.pdf
    Luck - Dwain
    Last edited by Dwain; 02-12-2019 at 08:44 PM.