Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubbert Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rubbert Exhaust

The baffles were blown out of my stock exhaust. It had ~900 hrs. I wanted a better, more reliable system. I ended up getting a Rubbert Aircraft service system. It is a short pipe, forward mounted muffler, similar to others on the market. The difference is, it has an STC for PA22/20!

I received all the parts last week. So far did a fit check, and mocked up all of the SCAT tubing. It fit really well and the tubing layout is clean and works with the front mounted oil cooler and InterAV Alternator. I will have to change out the Hartzell E-Drive starter for a Skytec XLT and it’s going to be a tight fit to get the inlet fit up on the right side baffle.

16CE9877-D42A-4A78-91C3-FFE086869A6D.jpeg

EDF740B4-4244-4817-9D85-D329092C958D.jpeg

D61A73A9-8F98-4A1B-9488-291D3AE76D26.jpeg

C9D9DBDC-F1AB-4A3F-9158-7DAAA843EDCC.jpeg

0D8F3103-F8B7-49E8-8616-D8C6D96F1BF9.jpeg

8E4931BF-E53F-4F1E-905C-6EE8BD84D023.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rubbert Exhaust

You can crush scat hose and make it kind of oval shaped to get it into places with clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is awesome, did not know they STC'd it for the PA22/20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    The baffles were blown out of my stock exhaust. It had ~900 hrs. I wanted a better, more reliable system. I ended up getting a Rubbert Aircraft service system. It is a short pipe, forward mounted muffler, similar to others on the market. The difference is, it has an STC for PA22/20!

I received all the parts last week. So far did a fit check, and mocked up all of the SCAT tubing. It fit really well and the tubing layout is clean and works with the front mounted oil cooler and InterAV Alternator. I will have to change out the Hartzell E-Drive starter for a Skytec XLT and it’s going to be a tight fit to get the inlet fit up on the right side baffle.
    There's little to no information on this exhaust out there. Do they offer heat ribbons similar to the Sutton for additional heat scavenging for cabin heat? What is the cost for the exhaust system? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    There's little to no information on this exhaust out there. Do they offer heat ribbons similar to the Sutton for additional heat scavenging for cabin heat? What is the cost for the exhaust system? Thanks!
    The system with STC is $3,780. There are O-320 and O-360 specific systems.

The muffler can has heat studs, see the pic below with the shroud removed. They do either 2x2” feedair inlets, or 1x3” inlet if you relocate the oil cooler and use that area to duct feed air.

It is a straight through design muffler can with a 3” outlet pipe. They don’t have Dyno numbers , but said that during STC testing back to back with a stock system they picked up 150rpm WOT level cruise. So I’m optimistic for some performance improvement.

Weight is ~9lbs lighter. I’ll be weighting everything to get actual numbers for my plane.

0689A43E-B64D-46EC-A29E-0C93D08F6C7D.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Does it eliminate the Muffler AD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Does it eliminate the Muffler AD?
    The instructions for continued airworthiness mention inspecting the system for condition and cracks every 100hrs or annually. Does not say the system needs to be removed and inspected inside like the AD. And no mention of a 50hr interval after 950hrs.

I don’t remember any specific verbiage in the STC mentioning eliminating the AD. I don’t have it in front of me at the moment though. Does there need to be specific language to eliminate the AD?

Post Thanks / Like

The instructions for continued airworthiness mention inspecting the system for condition and cracks every 100hrs or annually. Does not say the system needs to be removed and inspected inside like the AD. And no mention of a 50hr interval after 950hrs.

I don’t remember any specific verbiage in the STC mentioning eliminating the AD. I don’t have it in front of me at the moment though. Does there need to be specific language to eliminate the AD?
    Yes, there should be a letter from FAA stating there is an AMOC for the AD by installing this muffler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Yes, there should be a letter from FAA stating there is an AMOC for the AD by installing this muffler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’ll contact them and ask about it. It would be nice to remove that annoying muffler AD.

Post Thanks / Like

The system with STC is $3,780. There are O-320 and O-360 specific systems.

The muffler can has heat studs, see the pic below with the shroud removed. They do either 2x2” feedair inlets, or 1x3” inlet if you relocate the oil cooler and use that area to duct feed air.

It is a straight through design muffler can with a 3” outlet pipe. They don’t have Dyno numbers , but said that during STC testing back to back with a stock system they picked up 150rpm WOT level cruise. So I’m optimistic for some performance improvement.

Weight is ~9lbs lighter. I’ll be weighting everything to get actual numbers for my plane.

0689A43E-B64D-46EC-A29E-0C93D08F6C7D.jpeg
    I appreciate the info and pic! Interesting that they went with what look like stainless steel rivets for transferring heat to the passing air as opposed to the metal heat ribbons that Sutton uses. I wonder how effective they are in comparison. I live and fly in Alaska, so as you can imagine, heat production is a huge deal to me. It's a full $1,200 more than a Sutton similarly setup. If it doesn't get rid of the AD like the Sutton, that may be a deal breaker for me in and of itself. I need to call and ask what the benefits are over the Sutton besides the smaller can reducing or eliminating interference with the cowling channels. Thanks again for the info!