Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Sutton Exhaust on a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sutton Exhaust on a Pacer

Perfect, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Me too, or as well, as I HATE that whole "Me Too" thing...

Post Thanks / Like

Sutton Exhaust installation just about complete. Now I need to hear from you PA-20/22 guys who have already done the installation. How did you handle the wt and balance change short Of reweighing? The info supplied by Sutton in the STC only applies to a PA-18 and this multi year, 13 page thread does not address wt & balance. I have also read numerous 337s for field approvals and they only state that the wt and balance change are recorded in the aircraft records. So what was the weight and arm of the original system and what is the arm of the new?

Post Thanks / Like

Weigh the system you took off and measure from the wing LE to center off mass of the original
    Do the same for the aSutton. That gives you the weight and moment you took off and the same for the Sutton.

For the original I believe I used the distance from the Wing LE to the front edge of the muffler. On the Sutton I measured to the center of the Sutton muffler.

The original was -18 lbs and -24”. The Sutton was +11 lbs and -35.5”. I deemed it close enough for Government work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Gilbert. It’s surprising how closely my numbers match yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried a Sutton exhaust on an O-235? I talked to Gilbert, and he initially used the original PA-16 exhaust on his O-320 installation, then switched to the Sutton exhaust and still has the original PA-16 cowl. That would indicate that the Sutton exhaust fits inside the cowl and should bolt up to the O-235 ok. Just curious if anyone has tried. I also talked to Brian, and he wasnt aware of anyone that put one on an O-235, but believes a couple are installed on O-290s in Cubs. Id like to use a Sutton exhaust on my PA-16 with the O-235. Any feedback would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great choice for all the reason listed in previous posts, win win.