Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sutton Exhaust on a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sutton Exhaust on a Pacer

From the other shortwing site. Seems Leading Edge did have some cracking in the past.

http://www.shortwing.org/forum/showthre ... ading+edge

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taildraggerpilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Does anyone know what the rationale is for not simply mounting the oil cooler directly to the rear of the engine baffel?
    That's what I did, but I did add a doubler and tripler to strengthen the engine baffle. These images are of my installation and what I included in 337.
    That is exactly what I need to do. I am impressed with your installation. I would appreciate a copy of your 337 if you don't mind. It would save me a lot of time and thinking. ;o) thanx, Larry Huntley

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian, The Sutton exhaust was originally approved with Brian doing the noise test via calculations. Lee at Leading Edge filed a Congressional complaint after the system was approved. Brian Sutton stepped up and spent a lot of money and tested it. The actual noise came within .2 db of his calculations.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Sutton exhaust but an even bigger fan of Brian Sutton and his Dad, great guys. Why would Lee be so concerned about a little competition? Just because the Sutton system is lighter, simpler, half the price? Makes you wonder...

I would sure be happy to have a reasonably priced exhaust system for us shortwingers, that stock system is almost dangerous, IMHO.

-Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my oil cooler also mounted behind the cylinder but, I noticed that in the picture above it is mounted horizontally and I was curious as to why.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Nice to know that Sutton did that. I am still considering getting our exhaust system on its own STC. Will have to look up the regs on that.

Stephen,

Which picture are you talking about?
    All of the rear oil coolers I have seen have been mounted vertically on the rear baffle. Our STC 0-360 conversion puts it horizontally on the "front" baffle. We were able to do this because the cowling is 2 inches longer due to the constant speed propellor. That gave us enough room to put it there. The baffle has been strengthened for the installation.

[attachment=1:1ahy8k90]battery and fuel sys 017.jpg[/attachment:1ahy8k90]

[attachment=0:1ahy8k90]battery and fuel sys 016.jpg[/attachment:1ahy8k90]

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I was looking at BatPacer's pictures, I think he's experimental so he can do what he wants.

What a life those guys have.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen,

Didn't catch on that you were talking about my oil cooler before now. Need to shout at me next time!

I WISH that my plane was experimental. The oil cooler on the firewall is a legal installation. Put it there to keep from fatiguing and eventually cracking that nice expensive baffling that Randy Rubbert built for me. Randy put a 3in duct on the back side of the baffel and I ran scat down to a plenum over the oil cooler. Very similar to what you find on the older 172s.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,
    I keep a picture of you plane in my hanger, I'm impressed to hear that you have made so many mods and got them approved. You've got to give us the details on your plane. I assume that the oil cooler installed as you've done works fine and keeps the engine as its proper temps??

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of pictures of Univair's 0-360 conversion exhaust system.

[attachment=0:2m5c3er6]Pacer 003.jpg[/attachment:2m5c3er6]

[attachment=1:2m5c3er6]Pacer 001.jpg[/attachment:2m5c3er6]

Paul,

I to am impressed with your machine. I can see that you have updated with a lot of Trimmers mods also.

Has anyone really taken a look at Univairs modification to the 0-320 airbox to run on the 0-360. All they do is weld on a couple of flanges to mount a larger filter on. But if you really look at that, all the flanges do is block the incoming air behind the filter. You are still only going to get as much air as what the original 0-320 filter gives you. Our 0-360 conversion on our Pacer was based on the Univair. We had to get a one time STC because we changed to 1/2 inch fuel lines and put a modified standard exhaust system on. But we ran the aircraft for years with the Univair airbox mod. Our 0-360 constant speed mod has its own airbox that we designed specifically for the larger air filter. Here a little while ago we put one of our new airboxes on our Pacer. We gained RPM on static. I don't remember exactly how much but it was close to 50.
    Ill try to get a couple of pictures of the airbox on the airplane in the above photos to illistrate my point.

Paul, I notice that you have a round air filter on yours. Probably one of the best things you could have done for it. Lots of incoming air to feed those pony's.

Brian.