Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: interior insulation

Post Thanks / Like

Default interior insulation

I need to improve the looks of my Vagabond's boot cowl area and probably a little insulation wouldn't hurt either since it's 9 degrees this morning. Order of importance is weight, looks, and insulation qualities. Looking thru the new Sport Aviation Magazine there is a nice article about a T-Craft that a chapter rebuilt. I really like the looks of the quilted boot cowl and firewall cover in the picture. Any idea's where I could get some? (preferably in cub yellow)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: interior insulation

Airtex sells firewall pads as well as 1" fiberglass insulation by the yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I looked at their website but really didn't see anything like that. I looked thru the Aircraft Spruce Catalog and just haven't found what I am looking for. I liked the clean, quilted look, and if I could get it in yellow it would match the Ceconite interior.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an aircraft uphostery company make up a cover for my firewall. I insulated the firewall with a foil backed material from AS&S and then hid this with the sewn panel. I made a pattern with brown paper with the proper openings and velcro flaps and then velcroed it over the insulation. This made it match my interior.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine from wag aero. cat no. m-618 100. It is shown on page 103 of an old catalog. Firewall pad. It is of a gray color and padded. I put mine together while the firewall was not on the plane. Real easy to trace out and cut holes and trim that way. Looks real nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default cockpit sound proofing

when rebuilding the 22 20 what can be used thats fire resistant moisture resistant and reasonable priced or does everyone put the fiberglass back in rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 1" fiberglass from Airtex. It is reinforced foil faced on both sides and very tough. Could work it thru tight spaces without tearing. I sealed all edges with alu tape. My plane was insulated from the factory so when i did the rebuild it went back. Our 20 isn't and the difference is considerable. I think the weight is very minimal for the comfort you get.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, how did you do the interior over that? I've seen how to use ceconite to cover the interior, but not with insulation in. The insulation covers / blocks all the tubing that the ceconite would attach too.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket - I am going to use accoustic foam - I was told that Piper only used fiberglass because it was cheap.

I once made a plywood compressor cabinet lined with the same foam for a photographic processor (pre digital they used compressed air to blow any dust from negatives) and it was very effective in keeping the noise level down. Small direct drive comps. are noisy little buggers but you could stand 6 feet away and hardly hear it.

I have found a local supplier who is able to supply the foam and most importantly, supply the fire rating certificate to allow it to be used in aircraft.

I used to have a magazine article (I think Kitplanes) on soundproofing aircraft using closed cell polyurethane foam, but I just went looking for it and can't find it. Perhaps someone remembers where it was?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any insulation, does that mean i won't be able to hear or talk to any one. Probly won't need to hook up the speaker.

Sbjmobil