Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: interior insulation

Post Thanks / Like

after flying for thirty five years and forty five hundred hours with ten years of aerial application flying radials and turbines with only the last thousand hours with anr head gear i need all the help i can get hearing and besides i live in manitoba canada no i still live six hundred miles from polar bears but our winters still can be cold at times and a warm airplane is nice thanks for the replys i only joined a few weeks ago and i think i have already got more than my moneys worth thanks rocket

Post Thanks / Like

It gets cold here and I like flying when it's cold...so I'd like the creature comfort of some insulation in the plane, and not all on me!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess with the rate of air leakage around my windows and doors, not to mention the sheer size of those windows (uninsulated space), it would have never occurred to me that insulation could help keep the plane warm inside. Do you really think it does?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never installed any insulation when covering the interior with fabric. I have seen many different kinds of insulation that looks like it would work well but I am worried about poking the fabric during the sanding and painting process. Has anyone had any problems like this. The really good looking lightweight stuff seems pretty pricey. I wonder about the bubble wrap foil backed type?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    I guess with the rate of air leakage around my windows and doors, not to mention the sheer size of those windows (uninsulated space), it would have never occurred to me that insulation could help keep the plane warm inside. Do you really think it does?
    I do not. Only when you reduce the rate that your air leaks "changing the air in your environment" to less than your heating system's ability to replace that vacated air with WARMED AIR, will your cabin be "toasty".

There's a bigger consideration (at least with fiberglas -the ONLY item that you could say is "reasonably priced"). As drafty as these airplanes ARE, at 120 mph (give or take), how could you POSSIBLY expect there to NOT be a few thousand strands of glass threads flying around inside your cabin whenever the prop is turning? That's in the very air you suck in about every five seconds! Any piece of glass fiber you snort into the cilia that IS your respiratory system is never ever going to "get back out". It's trapped there FOREVER. Nobody apparently THOUGHT about this before about 1970. Would you go up into your attic in a tee shirt, no gloves, and without a respirator to keep the 'glas out of your airway to save four dollars of oil a month (SOMEBODY is gonna go "yuup, do it all the time!" Well, good luck with that, fella!)? Okay, looks like the 'spensive stuff is the only viable option. Will THAT work any better? Well, somebody that spent a couple Grand on doing their airplane with it is going to insist it DOES, but I am unconvinced, as far as "heating" is concerned. You still have to stop the drafts, or you is gonna be cold. Case closed.

As far as "noise level"? Save the money and grief of insulation for a better set of hearing protectors/headphones, and roll up a set of E.A.R. expandable foam inserts before you snap your stereo headset over your head... That's the only thing that is going to garantee that (even a MY age) you'll be able to still hear a squirrel fart at fifty yards, in the woods.

Really... admit that ragbag airplanes are going to require hearing protection, anyway. Even with insulated sidewalls (Cripes! can you describe for me "how to build a DRUM"? You are sitting INSIDE one!). Remember too, that any strand of fiberglas that you inhale is GOING TO BE there "for there duration". I haven't put fiberglas insulation in a recover job since 1976. Can't rationalize doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass flying around???? The airtex stuff is reasonably priced, double faced and I sealed ALL seams and edges with alu. tape. It is behind the sidewalls and headliner. Warm, you bet. In winter I fly warm and toasty with the heat control half way out. Can't say that about our noisy uninsulated 20. Steve understood, you don't need insulation in Texas. John, I'll stop by some time and give you a ride, might change your mind. Tad, Headliner went in first, then the insulation, then fabric on the outside, then the interior I made alu. pannels and then covered them with the same airtex fabric they made the seat covers out of. I wanted more than their plastic cardboard sidewalls inside. I also used their firewall pad and carpet but bought the carpet by the yard and cut to fit myself. Cheaper and a better fit that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Tad, Headliner went in first, then the insulation, then fabric on the outside, then the interior I made alu. pannels and then covered them with the same airtex fabric they made the seat covers out of. I wanted more than their plastic cardboard sidewalls inside. I also used their firewall pad and carpet but bought the carpet by the yard and cut to fit myself. Cheaper and a better fit that way.
    That makes sense with the headliner. How did you attach the side panels you made to the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ha, you weren't here this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank! You didn't comment on my new avatar!!!?!!! That's Roger holding court in his hangar in front of a few of his airplanes (admittedly, the Pacer behind the "BatesFox" shows up better in the original higher res pic).

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, had to blow it up to tell. he looks good. Another high on my list of places to stop. How recent a photo? What was the name of his book?
    -Super Stub-