Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fabric reinforcement A.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric reinforcement A.D.

Guys, you may have seen this before, but check this out . http://www.geocities.com/fodell.geo/piper.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric reinforcement A.D.

OK, yes there was an ad for this very same problem. The ad consists of installing a cap across the top of the windshield in order to capture the fabric so it cant rip off. In the recover manual, you also wrap the fabric in a manner to prevent any wind from catching the fabric. Check and see if your plane has the metal piece across the top of the windshield. I think there are 5 sm screw holding it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The AD on the fabric reinforcement over the windshield is for cotton but is a good idea on Dacron as well. I know of 3 airplanes covered in Dacron that have lost their fabric behind the windshield. :shock:

Post Thanks / Like

I knew about the AD, but had never seen a picture of "an occurance" This also shows some of the passenger saving abilities of our planes, if these guys did ,in fact, land at 150. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Our skylight STC specificaly mensions A.D. 74-17-04. The retainer strip kit part number is 754 404 or you can make one with a piece of 1 ˝ X 36” 2024 T3 0.032 alluminum. Our skylight insallation requires the use of a retaining strip in the front, rear and down the center of the glass. We also doubble up the number of screws used on the front retaining strip and use the same number on the rear strip.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri)
    Our skylight STC specificaly mensions A.D. 74-17-04. The retainer strip kit part number is 754 404 or you can make one with a piece of 1 ˝ X 36” 2024 T3 0.032 alluminum. Our skylight insallation requires the use of a retaining strip in the front, rear and down the center of the glass. We also doubble up the number of screws used on the front retaining strip and use the same number on the rear strip.

Brian.
    Are those screw just a sheet metal screw, or are they a threaded screw? I am ready to put mine back on and I dont remember what they were!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the orginal kit from Piper and it coontained the aluminum strip, rivnuts and machine screws.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom T
    The Piper kit to satisfy this AD had nut-serts and machine screws to hold the strip down. The nutserts are installed in the bottom part of the top windshield retaining u channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Nutserts were as per original kit. Our skylight install is 8-32 screws with AN locknuts on the front and center strips, nutserts on the root ribs and nutplates on the rear strip.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce
    Tom T
    The Piper kit to satisfy this AD had nut-serts and machine screws to hold the strip down. The nutserts are installed in the bottom part of the top windshield retaining u channel.
    Thanks, I would have almost bet they were just a sm screw. Mine must be tapped or something cuzz there aint no nut plates there