Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric reinforcement A.D.

Airops2010

Default Scary

I personally know all about the Parachute!! Read my story below.

http://www.theaviators.tv/Blog/Entri..._Beware_1.html

Goodnews its running again, and I made my own metal strip.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried or have knowledge of installing this strip after the fact with the windshield already installed? The obvious issue would be drilling holes in the upper windshield channel that would be through a layer of steel-plexiglass-steel. It would take a careful hand to just drill the top of the channel without cutting into the plexiglass and snagging the bit, perhaps cracking the windshield. At that point I could change to a plexiglass bit and keep going; but if the windshield is under any binding load it could still crack here.

Some of the bottom of the channel is accessible through the trim handle zipper in the headliner to install nuts or tinnermans on the screws, but at least one would probably have to be a self-tapping or sheet metal screw. A pop-rivet might work but a cherry-max or blind rivet could pull hard enough to crack the windshield. But...the drilling operation is what concerns me most.

I have not drilled or ground windows for a long time so thought I'd check with y'all current restorers. Any techniques much appreciated.

Airops2010

Good morning, there really is no easy way. You have to remove the windshield as it has notches to indicate where you can drill. If you tried drilling through with the windshield, you will probably bust it plus it will not allow the windshield to flex at all thus cracking it. These notches are quite wide. What I did is removed the windshield and took long metal ruler (stiff) and cut it the length of the windshield. I marked the notches on the ruler and then drilled holes in the ruler so I have print where I drill the holes on top. I just aligned the ruler on top and made sure I went far enough back, on the v channel. I marked my holes and drilled accordingly. Once done I cleaned metal shavings inserted windshield back on. Then I took my channel strip that I made out of 50 aluminal maybe it was 40 can't remember and slightly put a bend on one side, this side would be on the windshield. drilled the holes and screwed it down. Never had issues. Hope this explains and helps. I'm sure there is engineers that add to this

Jared

Airops2010

You have to use screws with locking nuts. I don't think, sheet metal screws would be approved even with tinnerman? Pop rivit is out of the question as this channel has to be removed every 5 years for inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Piper Fabric Modification Kit - PA-22

I have a PA-22-150 covered with the Stewarts Systems Process in 2011. The fabric has turned loose at the top of the windshield. It appears that it could have been partly caused by metal corrosion as a result of poor preparation in the U channel. The fabric is damaged enough where a sizable patch is necessary.

Would it be advisable to install the 754-404 PIPER FABRIC MODIFICATION KIT offered by Univair even if though the aircraft is covered with a Polyester fabric process?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Fabric Modification Kit - PA-22

Quote Originally Posted by maule_owner View Post
    Would it be advisable to install the 754-404 PIPER FABRIC MODIFICATION KIT offered by Univair even if though the aircraft is covered with a Polyester fabric process?
    Absolutely. When I recoverd mine with Ceconite fabric I installed the kit. There have been a number of ShortWings that have suffered fabric failures in this area even though they were covered with modern fabrics, Ceconite or PolyFiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Followed one into a Texas airport a few years back that didnt have one on Ceconite. It ripped to the back seat. I can still see the insulation flying out. All 160 horses were work to keep it in the air. It did make in down but barely. Wouldnt leave home without one!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have ever thought about it... Now would be the time to install a skylight... this is a photo of the short version installed.. the long one goes to the rear carry through tube...

This just happens to be the only clear picture of one I have on my phone..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    If you have ever thought about it... Now would be the time to install a skylight... this is a photo of the short version installed.. the long one goes to the rear carry through tube...

This just happens to be the only clear picture of one I have on my phone..

Brian

Brian, do you know what the weight penalty is for installing the skylight? I’m working on a PA-16, and trying to keep it as light as possible. Putting the skylight eliminated the fabric and that portion of the headliner, but I would think the lexan or plexi weigh more.