Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fabric reinforcement A.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric coming loose from top of windshield?

LarryV,

Thanks - that is a good summary.
    I was looking at my Vag fuselage and the front, top, channel is about 1.25" wide so there is plenty of area there for the fabric to be stuck down onto the channel.
    I wonder if the original problem, hence the issue of the Piper SB, was due to poorly applied glue to the channel or glue applied over old paint that flaked off over time?
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fabric reinforcement A.D.

Redbarron55, I merged your thread with another one on the subject with all the pertinent documents. We had another occurence recently that you can read about here. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...e-claim-fiasco

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric coming loose from top of windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    LarryV,

Thanks - that is a good summary.
    I was looking at my Vag fuselage and the front, top, channel is about 1.25" wide so there is plenty of area there for the fabric to be stuck down onto the channel.
    I wonder if the original problem, hence the issue of the Piper SB, was due to poorly applied glue to the channel or glue applied over old paint that flaked off over time?
    TonyN
    My read on the service bulletin was that the fabric wasn't extended far enough - just folded over into the underside of the channel and not all the way through it and past it.

I also think its it's a much wider issue than just fabric covered Piper aircraft. When I purchased my 7KCAB and did a pre-buy inspection on it, I noted a taped seam on the fuselage adjacent to the trailing edge of the wing and well matched but newer paint and fabric forward of the seam. A little bit of digging in the logs showed that the fabric was coming loose at the front edge of the fuselage (behind the sky light). It came loose because the folks who did the recover in 2007 didn't use enough overlap past that front edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know of it being an issue on a couple of Citabria/Decathalon types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This came up on the Club's Facebook page. Pilot got it down safely but this is the worst one I have seen. Glad he landed safely. In the posts he stated that the aluminum strip was installed but after reviewing photos he posted I don't see any holes in the steel windshield strip like Service Letter 362B. A heads up to check the fabric above the windshield and comply with the service letter.
    FB_IMG_1671643236696.jpg

FB_IMG_1671643241446.jpg

FB_IMG_1671643244927.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

From the threads seen at the leading edge of the windshield channel; does that indicate the fabric tore across the front? Is this a case of a leaking and rusting windshield channel eroding fabric integrity to the point where it failed and tore loose?

Post Thanks / Like

I see maybe small PK screw holes? Hard to tell but doesnt look like rivnut? I'm guessing from the photo above that the aluminum strip has departed or still attached to the loose fabric? If so, it looks like the fabric has torn clean with the windshield seam?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

That sharp edge should have not less than been chafe tapped before the fabric was attached into the windshield channel. I don't think that job can be done properly with the plexiglass in there during the fabric covering.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a new windshield last year and while the windshield was out, I added the strip to secure the fabric on the top of the windshield. I didn't take a picture of the strip when it was installed, but here you can see the "large" holes to install the rivnuts. Even though the SB doesn't apply to aircraft covered with modern fabric, I would still recommend installing the strip.

The other two pictures are of a Pacer I came across sitting on the ramp at Sheridan, WY on my trip to Idaho last year,

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The other two pictures are of a Pacer I came across sitting on the ramp at Sheridan, WY on my trip to Idaho last year,
    "No lowballers. I know what I got!"