Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Toe brakes & zinc chromate

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toe brakes & zinc chromate

Hello Well I finally have the fuselage in primer (zinc chromate, I might add) Now we get to start building it back up. The grand total came to 7 tubes need to be replaced not 1 or 2 (after the SB 819 ) My question is this, Is there any toe brake setup that will work with stock cleveland drum brakes? If not, what kind of used (inexpensive) wheels and brakes can I get and use? thanks Gary Richmond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toe brakes & zinc chromate

Gary, aren't you going to top coat your primer?

Post Thanks / Like

I would also say put some polyurethane paint on the fuselage.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep but for now, I have it coated enough to stop the surface rust from forming on my newly blasted tubes. Its in a covered carport and now I can start cutting out the bad tubes and welding in new. When I get the thing 100% I will topcoat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan
    Yep but for now, I have it coated enough to stop the surface rust from forming on my newly blasted tubes. Its in a covered carport and now I can start cutting out the bad tubes and welding in new. When I get the thing 100% I will topcoat it.
    Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you were finished making repairs...

Post Thanks / Like

I have PA22 drum brakes and wheels on my PA16 project via an STC. The master cyclinders are Clevelands.
    Bob N5656H

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan
    Hello Well I finally have the fuselage in primer (zinc chromate, I might add) Now we get to start building it back up. The grand total came to 7 tubes need to be replaced not 1 or 2 (after the SB 819 ) My question is this, Is there any toe brake setup that will work with stock cleveland drum brakes? If not, what kind of used (inexpensive) wheels and brakes can I get and use? thanks Gary Richmond

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good to hear, I was under the impression that drum brakes were low pressure high volume and toe brake cylinders were high pressure low volume. That drum brakes would only work with scott type heel brakes.

[quote="Bob Jagodzinski"]I have PA22 drum brakes and wheels on my PA16 project via an STC. The master cyclinders are Clevelands.
    Bob N5656H

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I'm also running the stock 53 drums that came with the Tri-Pacer on my Univair STC conversion to tail wheel. After 25 + years I can't say I even remember if the discs were an option during the conversion.