Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: first tube replaced

Post Thanks / Like

Default first tube replaced

Well today I did my first tube replacement, jigging it with the block and barclamp method. Station two bottom between the front landing gear fittings. (not installed yet). At first I thought I was going to get away with replacing only one side of it, but after the pickhammer treatment i decided to do the whole thing. Got the inner tube too.
    I was careful and I am pleased with the results. Took me quite a while. I got 3ft of 3/8 threaded rod to use to align the front fitting when I weld them on. it will go from the rear tripacer fitting right up to the new front fitting. 6 more tubes to go. Pictures at 11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: first tube replaced

Progress, that is great. It gets easier and a little quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan
    ... I got 3ft of 3/8 threaded rod to use to align the front fitting when I weld them on. it will go from the rear tripacer fitting right up to the new front fitting.
    Yipes! I hope I misunderstand what you are saying (that wouldn't be too unusual -for me to misunderstand)! You are welding new front fittings for a taildragger conversion??? Using a straight rod from the rear TP fitting through the "strut attach point" gear fitting to locate a "front taildragger fitting" will result in a very WRONG taildragger mlg alignment!!! Consult the TriPacer fuselage drawing for a critical note on setting up the airplane for toe-out as specified by a critical linear dimension. THEN consult the Pacer fuselage drawing for the same critical dimension requirement to provide TOE-IN for the Pacer. You cannot use a straight rod for this purpose, you would need a "vee-shaped rod" to do that. You NEED to use the gear that you are going to install as part of the "locating technique" to properly install new front fittings (I DO recall you were going "conventional gear", yes?) to insure your new airplane won't be a "bucking bronco" on touchdown!

So, if I DID misunderstand you and you are talking about new front TRIPACER fittings (not 22/20 ftgs), please be kind to a stupid old man whose intentions were in the right place. Just trying to save you from what would be a terrible miscalculation that you would undoubtedly regret to no end when you found out too late.

Post Thanks / Like

John,
    I understand where you are comming from and I appreciate your concern. I am going by my Wagabond plans (although I do have the 22/20 prints). The print shows the front fitting to be in line (and square) with the strut attach fitting. If it doesn't align with the old rear fitting I will abandon the long rod. ( I thought it did but maybe it doesn;t)
    From what I can see, the toe in or out is contained in the landing gear itself. I hoped to keep the 22/20 type gear but I havn't found any that I can afford so I will probably have to building my own landing gear in the vagabond style with compression springs instead of bungees, so I will have to contend with toe in after i get the gear legs (tack welded) attached to the fuselage. I hope this alleviates your concern. Feel free to jump in anytime I say something that sounds strange or stupid.

Yipes! I hope I misunderstand what you are saying (that wouldn't be too unusual -for me to misunderstand)! You are welding new front fittings for a taildragger conversion??? Using a straight rod from the rear TP fitting through the "strut attach point" gear fitting to locate a "front taildragger fitting" will result in a very WRONG taildragger mlg alignment!!! Consult the TriPacer fuselage drawing for a critical note on setting up the airplane for toe-out as specified by a critical linear dimension. THEN consult the Pacer fuselage drawing for the same critical dimension requirement to provide TOE-IN for the Pacer. You cannot use a straight rod for this purpose, you would need a "vee-shaped rod" to do that. You NEED to use the gear that you are going to install as part of the "locating technique" to properly install new front fittings (I DO recall you were going "conventional gear", yes?) to insure your new airplane won't be a "bucking bronco" on touchdown!

So, if I DID misunderstand you and you are talking about new front TRIPACER fittings (not 22/20 ftgs), please be kind to a stupid old man whose intentions were in the right place. Just trying to save you from what would be a terrible miscalculation that you would undoubtedly regret to no end when you found out too late.[/quote]