Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Producer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Experimental Producer

Another one coming together

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Experimental Producer

It's looking good!

How much is the engine moved, from the original position?

Which exhaust system will you use?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Looks great. Im sure it will be quite the performer. With your STC's do you have to use fabric formers to get the lines for the rear of the fuselage to look so nice or are the upper and lower longerons straight. Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks awesome Steve. Wish I could have made it up there for the show and seen your airplanes. Can you tell us more about this Producer?

Post Thanks / Like

Since this thread was posted it occurred to me to go ahead and weigh the stripped fuselage on my stretched pacer and post the weight in case others were interested.

The weight, stripped down to nothing with two coats of epoxy primer is 103.4 pounds.
    This weight does not include any doors, or anything else that was not welded to the fuselage.

The fuselage is stretched 24 inches using 3/4 chromoly tubing and the internal sleeve method.

It has PA 18 front gear fittings from Airframes Inc. and extra brackets welded in to accomodate toe brakes. The plans used to stretch the fuselage require quite a few extra fabric former standoffs to straighten out the lines of the upper longerons.
    Of course, as it sits it will require stringers like most pipers. For this I have chosen a boxed stringer material available from aircraft spruce. Pretty light stuff but I would guess it will add a couple of more pounds to the weight. I would weigh them but they are all pretty long and hard to weigh.

Hopefully this will help someone along the way. I would be interested in learning what other stretched pacer airframes are weighing.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Brad. Sounds like about the same weight as a Super Cub frame. I will weigh the two SC frames and a Pacer and Clipper frame I have to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve.

I was curious how the weight of this frame compared to supercub and pacer frames. Of course, I didnt have the foresight to weigh the tri-pacer frame before I cut it.
    For what it is worth, on this one I removed the co-pilot side baggage door and associated sheet metal as well as the rear hatrack sheet metal brackets. Thanks again.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen - We built this mount about 5 inches longer than standard. And went with the Sutton exhaust.
    Brad - As Steve mentioned, your weights are in the ballpark even after some bridging to get your lines on the fuselage where you want them.
    Steve - Sorry that you couldn't make it. - I'll post more - later - Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

who can I get a set of plans from? I have a set of the old v6stol plans that I was going to use but I'm open for options at this point...
    thanks, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Bryant,

I like your mods.

I assume moving the engine forward is for CG.

What empty weight are you hoping to come in at?

Are you using the stock PA18 wing set-up?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."