Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA 22 seat extended 1 1/2"

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA 22 seat extended 1 1/2"

I saw an article with pictures in a SWPC news magazine showing how to extend the seat back back 1 1/2" buy cutting and welding in a tube. I thought I had saved it somewhere but can't find it as I am thinking of doing this mod. I now have the seats striped and am ready to do it but don't want to wing it just copy what someone has already done. Can anyone supply me with info on the mod.

strathyre77@hotmail.com

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA 22 seat extended 1 1/2"

Dave,

Have a look at the modifications section of the SWPC website under the heading "you can have more legroom" by Jim Clarke.
    I saw his aeroplane at Oshkosh in 2006 and had a look at the seat mod. I will also have to do mine as my long skinny legs are up around my chin normally!

Curly

Post Thanks / Like

I did ours at 1.5 inches and if I was to do it again it would be 3 inches. Hard on the back seaters but then its mostly a dog or a kid or two when I do have the back seat in.

Mr Piper must have been a short fellah.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the information.
    http://www.shortwing.org/TestSite/index ... le&view=43
    I have a set of beautifullly made extenders. If you are interested make me an offer.
    My son made them and gave them to me for Christmas. The seats in a Clipper are different and so they wouldn't work in my airplane. We accomplished the same thing by moving the brackets which were already cracked and needed replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert
    Thanks for the link and your offer sounds like the way for me to go. Do you have extenders for one or two front seats. Not sure what something like that would be worth as I don't know what is involved with making them. Let me know how much you would like for them?
    Dave

strathyre77@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gil, It sounds like these are different than Jim did? Could you, or Steve post a pic? If you don't mind sharing, they sound like they may be a bolt in that would not effect the upholstery. Thanks, SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These pictures are of a stock Clipper seat with the broken and cracked brackets replaced and moved aft 1 1/2".
    100_2187 (Medium).jpg 100_2188 (Medium).jpg 100_2189 (Medium).jpg

I wonder about compressing the tube on the seat back. This last picture might be a good way of eliminating that problem.
    P1010028 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 10-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer135
    Gilbert
    Thanks for the link and your offer sounds like the way for me to go. Do you have extenders for one or two front seats. Not sure what something like that would be worth as I don't know what is involved with making them. Let me know how much you would like for them?
    Dave

strathyre77@hotmail.com
    Attached is a picture of the seat extenders. There are four extenders, that will do both front seats. I will take $50 plus shipping for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are some common problems I have found with the Clipper seats. Cracks and kinks. Somethings to look over carefully everytime the seat is removed and at annual. Also know of a couple of airplanes being wrecked because the seat wasn't installed properly and it came out of it's front attach fittings and flipped the pilots back with no control of the airplane.
    100_2268 (Medium).jpg 100_2263 (Medium).jpg 100_2266 (Medium).jpg

This one the seat pin came out. http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief2.asp?ev_ ... 139&akey=1
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 10-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    Sounds like a deal how can I pay you, do you take paypal or I can mail a money order?

Dave