Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

Has anyone replaced fuel sending unit gasket on a Tripacer? Do you have to pull the tank? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

No fun. I had to remove the dreaded tank rod that runs through the tank at the root end to get the unit out far enough away from the butt rib to be able to get the new gasket on. Didn't have to remove the whole tank but I did anyway just to clean all the dirt and stuff out from under it. You have to remove the fuel hoses also so might as well replace them while you are there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkooney
    Has anyone replaced fuel sending unit gasket on a Tripacer? Do you have to pull the tank? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't forget to replace the washers under the heads of the screws with the proper rubberized?? ones. I learned after pulling my tank that they were leaking,not the gasket. Larry Huntley

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the sending unit on my Colt without pulling the tanks. It took a very short angled screwdriver and some patience. The old sending unit came out fine. The new Univair sender was a slightly different shape and we had to apply a little persuasion to the root wing rib to install the new sender.

Dean Dayton
    PA22-108 N5553Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was able to get all the screws out but couldn't get the sending unit clocked around enough to get it out, it was so close I could taste it. . I finally got frustrated and pulled the tank. Larry, Where did you get the information about the screws? That is a new one on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I was able to get all the screws out but couldn't get the sending unit clocked around enough to get it out, it was so close I could taste it. . I finally got frustrated and pulled the tank. Larry, Where did you get the information about the screws? That is a new one on me.
    I bought the "kit" of the gaskets and screw washers from Lock Haven Airparts in Lock Haven , Pa. My screws had been put in with "O" rings under the screws and they leaked quite badly through the screw threads anyway. No problem since. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Larry Huntley]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steve Pierce":337thxue
    I bought the "kit" of the gaskets and screw washers from Lock Haven Airparts in Lock Haven , Pa. My screws had been put in with "O" rings under the screws and they leaked quite badly through the screw threads anyway. No problem since. Larry[/quote:337thxue]
    BTW, they also overhaul the sending units. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the info, sounds like its not going to be fun. Did Univair have the gaskets?

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned and maintained my PA22/20 for over 20 years and have replaced my fuel sender gaskets several times. I have used the gaskets from Univair but they are pretty thin compared to the ones from Airparts of Lockhaven. I would recommend the Airparts ones if you haven't already purchased them. As someone pointed out, you can remove the screws using a short or offset screwdriver (I think may have have used a small ratchet too). I also cut a small hole in the fabric on the butt rib to pass a screw driver through to get a straight angle and better access to some of the screws. Overall, this has been a relatively simple process and I have never had to loosen or remove my tanks. The trick seemed to be to get the screws out, pull the float out slightly and rotate it so you can work the wire and float out of the hole. You'll need to be careful to not bend the wire however, since it is what calibrates the levels of the fuel in the tank. Overall, this process has seemed to work well in my set up. The last couple times I just sealed the gasket and screws good with soft PRC to eliminate the issue of fuel leaking around the screws. Good luck with yours.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

found some Great info on the fuel sending unit repair over at commanchegear.com
    seems as if all 3 of my pipers use the exact same gasket and similar sending units.
    Suspect it is the same gasket as a PA-24
    it would make sence.

he has a good article on how to rebuild your present sending unit that does apply to our short wing pipers.
    Test and Refurbish Procedure for fuel level transmitters

I had a problem opening up the PDF file in the above link using older version of adobe reader.
    your mileage may vary.
    I do have a version that does work.

Now neither of my part catalogs list the part numbers for those sealing washers.
    but both the PA-22 and PA-23 use the same gasket part number and no listing for the screws or bolts.
    '
    51-pa22