Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 fuel sending unit gasket

I have leaks from both fuel sender gaskets. Aircraft Spruce have MC462-021 gaskets (p/n 05-04872) $15 and screw kits with stato-seals (?) MC 1802 (p/n 05-04873) $30. Viton is used throughout.
    The original senders (AC ?) have a slight depression where the screws go, and the stato-seals are a little wide, so a bit of judicious grinding with lots of water to keep cool, and they seemed to have bedded down OK.
    The Univair pressed type butt ribs have an upright in just the wrong place, so undoing the bottom screw was a pita, even with a small angled ratchet screw driver. I had to shorten the phillips bit quite a lot to get the driver into position.
    No sign of leaks after a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Went to install the fuel senders today. Had Univair gaskets, drilled flister head screws and stat-o-seals for the 10/32 screws. Used fuel lube on the gasket and screws. The Univair gaskets appeared to have the hole spacing off on a couple of the holes. The gasket would not lay down properly and wanted to squeeze out when the screws were just snug. Also, the stat-o-seals are too large a diameter to fit the AC sender gauge without grinding off a corner. If the original gaskets were cork, it seems like it would save a bit of frustration to just make new ones. We’re the gaskets from a Ford at NAPA made of cork? Thanks?
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

Commanchegear.com is where to get them. I purchased some a year or so back and just called and left a message today to do so again. I think he will make me buy 4 at a time so I can send you two when I get them. Univair catalog doesn’t seem to have the right ones for pa22.

Post Thanks / Like

These are twice as thick as commanche gear, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTI16O
    1/8 thick, fuel resistant rubber and match the hole pattern, identical to comanchee gear except 1/8" instead of 1/16" thick, and dont need to spend $50. you can buy one for $13.

NAPA might have them also

Post Thanks / Like

I also got mine from Comanche gear.

I don't see why this would be the case, but when I installed them it seemed that the holes in both the sending unit and the gasket were not perfectly symmetrical -- like they were "keyed"; I found I had to rotate them around, one hole at a time, until I had the gasket oriented so ALL the holes lined up with the holes in the sender. Otherwise, it seemed there was always one gasket hole that ended up about mid-point in a sender hole, that is, blocking almost half of it. No way to get a screw in there. Maybe it was just me? (But it worked.)
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 09-18-2022 at 04:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post

I don't see why this would be the case, but when I installed them it seemed that the holes in both the sending unit and the gasket were not perfectly symmetrical -- like they were "keyed"; I found I had to rotate them around, one hole at a time, until I had the gasket oriented so ALL the holes lined up with the holes in the sender. Otherwise, it seemed there was always one gasket hole that ended up about mid-point in a sender hole, that is, blocking almost half of it. No way to get a screw in there. Maybe it was just me? (But it worked.)
    I cant remember if the one I got from Comanche gear had the smaller hole at top, its at my hangar I didnt use it, I will look today, the ones I have used had the smaller sixth hole that lines up 12 oclock on my tank and the rest line up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wonder if the Univair gaskets are for the earlier fuel senders with the #8 screws?
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

I got fuel sender gaskets from Air Parts of Lock Haven inc (www.airpartsoflockhaven.com) for $7 each and seal washers for the screws for $.65 each. That was 7 years ago but it may be worth checking. It was a perfect fit on my ‘53 PA-22 tanks and still no leaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post

I believe the fuel senders are “keyed” to make sure they are mounted in the correct orientation. I used Univair gaskets on mine and after rotating them to match the senders, they worked fine.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z