Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Spins ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22-150 - Spins and Spirals (citation requested)

I believe you will find it on the TCDS the official document for all certified aircraft and I can say personally i once screwed up a wing over with a aft cg (back seat passenger) and recovery from the unintended spin was no big deal.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I believe you will find it on the TCDS the official document for all certified aircraft and I can say personally i once screwed up a wing over with a aft cg (back seat passenger) and recovery from the unintended spin was no big deal.
    Thank you for the quick reply. I now see that the TCDS refers to spins as such: "Operate in Normal Category in compliance with approved Flight Manual. Acrobatics (including spins) prohibited"

Do you know if there is there anything on spirals by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Upon further investigation, it looks like the PA-22-150 can be approved for intentional spins in the Utility Category so long as a control modification kit is installed.

"Note 2 (g) On the instrument panel in full view of the pilot when Item 407 is installed: (1) "Operate in Normal or Utility Category in compliance with the approved Flight Manual. Airplane marked for Normal Category. Acrobatics (including spins) prohibited in Normal Category"

"NOTE 3. Serial Nos. 22-3218, 22-3387 and up, of Model PA-22-150 or PA-22-160, are eligible to be operated as a Normal or Utility Category Airplane in compliance with the approved Airplane Flight Manual provided Item 407 (Control modification kit) is installed. Propeller Item 6 is not eligible when Item 407 is installed."

Post Thanks / Like

You need the kit for Utility and the Flight Manual Supplement to legally do spins. Even at that, it’s hard to actually get a PA-22 to spin unless you really pull the nose up for the stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spins ????

I'm interested in trying to spin my PA22-150. I have the TCDS Item 407 mod. Question: Must you wear a parachute if intentionally attempting to spin?

Post Thanks / Like

Googled it:
    https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/parachutes-during-aerobatics

Do you need a parachute to do spins?

Yet even though parachutes are not required for spin training, it is recommended that they be worn nonetheless, if available. Many other all-attitude training maneuvers will necessarily exceed 30 degrees of pitch and 60 degrees of bank; therefore, parachutes will be required.

https://www.faasafety.gov › mar › g...

Guidelines For Pilots Seeking All Attitude Training - FAA SafetyYet even though parachutes are not required for spin training, it is recommended that they be worn nonetheless, if available. Many other all-attitude training maneuvers will necessarily exceed 30 degrees of pitch and 60 degrees of bank; therefore, parachutes will be required.

Post Thanks / Like

Per 14 CFR 91.307, if you are solo, no parachute is required:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...ing-aerobatics