Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-22 Weight and Balance '?'

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 Weight and Balance '?'

Hello Short Wingers!

I have been looking for a plane for what seems like forever and it appears that the PA-22 is about to join the ranks of planes to look for. There are a few planes out there that I am seriously considering but before I get to far into the plane purchasing process, I am like to request assistance from the board.

Would a PA-22 (around 1250 empty) be able to carry 440 lbs in the front seat (the total weight of both pilots not one big guy)? There would be no more than 50 lbs worth of bags. This equation does not put the plane over gross but I am not too sure if it will put me to far forward CG?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Weight and Balance '?'

AirIcarus

Just plugged in the numbers in my weight and ballance program that has info for the a friends Pacer at 1263 empty.
    With 440 lbs in the front and 50 lbs baggage and full fuel the calculated CG is at 16.18 inches at 1984 lbs. CG range is 17.5 to 23 inches for a PA-22-160 at 2000 lbs so you would be a little nose heavy at this weight. As the fuel burns though the CG range is increased to 12 to 23 inches at 1800 lbs and then up to 9.5 to 23 at 1400 or less.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like we will be a little forward CG. We probably would not want to fly for more than three hours, so it looks the plane is still on my 'purchase list'. Normally they planes combined front seat weight will usually be under 400 lbs so this would probably be a one time problem.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

You might look for one with the optional 8 gal tank under the back seat. This might help you change the weight around a little. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

You could also elect to throw the passenger in the back. More room for everyone, the airplane flies a bit better, and no cg problem. When my wife and I go on all day excursions, she'll usually sit up front for the first leg, but after that she gets a bit tired and finds that a pillow up against the window and the rest of the back seat to "stretch" out on is a fairly good way to finish the trip. I like how it flies better, anyway.