Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Piece to One Piece Cam Shaft

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two Piece to One Piece Cam Shaft

I have SI on the part numbers to upgrade, at the shop. I'll be away for two weeks, I can get you the number to it when I return.
    But basically you change the cam and corresponding components (tach shaft and components as well as the oil slinger and such) then replace the tin oil guard (not sure of its proper name) that's riveted to the accessory case. A call to a machine shop like Nicksons or Divco and I'm sure they could tell you what's involved or where to get that information.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. I'm trying to freshen-up an O-235 that used to be a Colt engine. It needed a cam and tappets so I bought Superior kit through Aircraft Spruce which just arrived today. It's the single-piece cam/gear arrangement.

That all being said, I'm trying to fully understand the difference between the "before" and "after" photos of the accessory case in this first post of the thread: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ll=1#post22735

The first photo shows some kind of splash shield riveted to the case and the photo of the updated case leaves me wanting more info. It looks like the bore was deepened and the face where the splash shield used to be got milled back a bit? Is there some sort of pressed-in steel insert in that photo? It sounds like I will need to send my accessory case out for machining but since I'm using this on an experimental airplane, I could consider getting the work done locally if I understood it well enough. Perhaps that's penny-wise and pound foolish. Sending it out and getting the parts back with a yellow tag might be reassuring for whomever owns and operates this airplane in the future.

For those of you who have run through this gantlet before, could you please drop some incremental advice to me?

Thanks for your consideration.

Todd
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a splash ring riveted to the accessory case to keep oil from splash into the crankcase vent. The cam pictured has a splash shield cast into it. There is a also a splash shield that bolts to a two piece cam gear. Look at what you have on your O-235-C1. I can't remember what is there because the crankcase vent is on the front of the crankcase vs the rear on the accessory case on the O-320.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense. I'm not near the crankcase or accessory case now but I will inspect them before panicking further. Thank you for the quick response. I look forward to getting this project back into the air before heavy snows close the field for the winter.
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)