Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: -12 or -32? was Carb Differences

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: -12 or -32? was Carb Differences

A logical approach, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree, years ago during the big carburetor phase of automobiles I had a job rebuilding. Now as an AP I send out my much simpler aircraft carburetor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    https://msacarbs.com/pdf/SB-22_O%20N...l%20Nozzle.pdf

I let the professional cab shops do the aircraft carbs since they flow the carb on a test bench after working on them. Automotive carbs I have no qualms about tearing into. I assume from reading the service bulletin you can do it if you have CC11-160 Aircraft Maintenance Manual. The SB says after completion of the installation to make a logbook entry. A repair station did mine and sent me the 8310-3 maintenance release and made a look book entry siting the 8310-3 work order.
    Sent from my BTV-W09 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Attached is a picture of my UBG16 after the nozzle change. The CHT's, the bottom bars are only 19 Degrees apart. The bars change at each 30 degree increment even though 2 cylinders had 2 bars and 2 had 3 bars they are only 19 degrees apart.
    I lost all my download data after the nozzel change. Typically I see cylinders 1,2, and 3 about 1 to 2 degrees apart and #4 10 to 20 degrees lower depending on power setting. Go Figure. I've checked everything on #4 and can only attribute it to the new cylinders I put installed in January 2018. Prior to that #4 had the highest EGT.

Prior to the nozzel change the bars never lined up. Typically the CHT's's had a 50 degree spread low to high and the EGT's had a 130 plus or minus spread. All of this is 75% power setting leaned.
    Power settings and leaning make a big difference in the temperature and spreads.

Attachment 15991
    Flew today to get some Ten-a-see BBQ. Leaned at 3000’, 2525 rpm (75% power) my EGT spread was 47 degrees and my CHT spread was 6 degrees. At lower power setting the spreads are little larger. Prior to the nozzle change I saw spreads likes these only above 7500’ and full throttle: the throttle was not partially blocking the throat disrupting the fuel/air distribution. Bottom line the new nozzle with all the holes in it provides better mixture distribution.