Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Pipe thread to AN fitting adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pipe thread to AN fitting adapter

I have a question, When you have a situation where you are screwing an AN adapter (pipe thread) into a block or in this case a remote oil filter housing, do you use and sealant like teflon tape or such, or just thread it in tight? Aluminum to aluminum. Thanks Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pipe thread to AN fitting adapter

I would recommend against any telflon tape, sometimes a bit of that might come loose and cause problems in some small passage. I have used sealant like fuel lube, there are others like aviation permatex. don't use too much as you do not want any extra getting into the oil stream.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya
    I would recommend against any telflon tape, sometimes a bit of that might come loose and cause problems in some small passage. I have used sealant like fuel lube, there are others like aviation permatex. don't use too much as you do not want any extra getting into the oil stream.
    Thanks Andy, I feel the same way about teflon tape. I hadn;t thought of aviation permatex. I am inclined to use nothing unless I get a leak. I just wondered if that was OK. Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I used to believe that "soft metal" threaded connections -esp. those with a tapered thread form- didn't require a thread lube/sealant, either. Then when I started taking "stuff" apart that I had previously smoked together "dry" so as not to leak, I began to understand that there is this thing called "galling". Since I first "discovered" Parker Thread Lube and Fuel Lube, I haven't found a galled thread (OR A LEAK) that I had put together, since. My vote is for the "good stuff", and I use it on bathroom fittings as well as aircraft stuff. I have to admit I never tried Permatex aviation sealers, but then, too... once I found AeroKroil, I haven't ever tried anything else for loosening rusted metal parts, either! And I don't really care if "PBblaster" or some other soup de jour is "just as good", or not! If I have ANYTHING that really HAS TO come apart without snapping off or rounding the corners off rusty hex nuts, I douche it with Kroil and take it apart tomorrow morning. Every time. When I find something that works, I stick with it. Thread Lube and Fuel lube are in that category, for me. Try it...you'll like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My two choices.
    IMG_20200723_094259.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of high presssure snowplow hydraulic system work and use the 592 for many years. Tape is for plumbers only.
    -Super Stub-