Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter Adapter

Reviving an old thread, was wondering if anyone with a Clipper with the O-235 has installed a remote filter, and what they did with the baffle that went around the screen houosing for cooling? Oil temperature before and after the remote filter? I need to make new engine baffles so I was wondering if putting a remote filter will provide enough surface cooling area to eliminate that baffle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting thread with data on that blast tube. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...be-Blast-Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my PA-22-160, I used it for banner towing. Prior to adding a second oil cooler on the nose gear, oil temps would run red line or better. After the second cooler, they ran mid to high green while towing, and low green when just flying around. Had to put a blanking plate over the second cooler in the winter though. On the Howard, I ran an Airwolf filter, and it dropped oil temps almost 10 degrees.

With the Clipper and no oil cooler, just want to be sure I have it set up OK when I'm done. Right now all I have is baffles on the left side, all the baffles on the right have been lost, so I need to fabricate new.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had hot oil temp with the clipper. No aux cooler just stock 0-235 cooling and tight baffles. 220 on 90+ degree days.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil filter adapter

I promised myself that I would not go through another oil change on my O-235 Colt without changing to a spin on. Any recommendations? Is the current kluge cooling arrangement trash? Both screens removed or just the pressure screen?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with another on the oil filter subject with a lot of information. Also read this thread specific to the oil filter adapter on the O-235. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...O-235-C1/page4

Leave the suction screen, that is to keep from sucking debris into the oil pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am trying to install the Casper Labs remote oil filter on my plane and just got an email from Bill saying Inwill need to replace my right oil
    line with a flex line or fabricate another oil line because the right side one is in the way
    decision time
    Go with Casper and install flex lines ( which ones ? aka part numbers ) or go with an air wolf . I do realize the air wolf needs flex lines to and from the unit but doesn’t require replacing the hard oil
    lines
    What would you do ?45854F3E-8FA0-4CCC-88E6-9CDA9651B9D7.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    I am trying to install the Casper Labs remote oil filter on my plane and just got an email from Bill saying Inwill need to replace my right oil
    line with a flex line or fabricate another oil line because the right side one is in the way
    decision time
    Go with Casper and install flex lines ( which ones ? aka part numbers ) or go with an air wolf . I do realize the air wolf needs flex lines to and from the unit but doesn’t require replacing the hard oil
    lines
    What would you do ?45854F3E-8FA0-4CCC-88E6-9CDA9651B9D7.jpeg
    If you still have the Piper exhaust, there isn’t much room on the firewall to mount the Airwolf. The Casper filter adapter is also lighter than the Airwolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Casper, way simpler, lighter, no big deal on the line. You'll need a 45 fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You'll need a 45 fitting
    According to Bill I need more than that. Three choices - Install flex line for the right one, fabricate a custom one, find one off of an older 0-320. Bill says my engine is from a SuperCub or 1958 or later tripacer. The oil line is right in the way

Unfortunately , you have a problem. That engine must have been taken from a Super Cub or a mid 1958 or later TriPacer. The right side oil cooler tube cannot be worked around with any combination of spacer for the filter kit. Your only options to fit the filter requires one of the following 3 options. 1) replace the hard line with a flex hose. 2) Find an earlier configuration line from a TriPacer (this is the type shown in the SWPN article to follow by anther email). 3) Custom bend a new hard line similar to option 2.

And from Steve on earlier posts of this thread

Stratoflex 111-8 hose with 300-8D fittings. You will need a 45 degree elbow for the line on the accessory case by the screen/filter and for the oil cooler under the alternator and a 90 degree elbow at the other accessory case fitting and oil cooler at the starter.
    However Im not changing the starter so I believe I need the above flex hoses and fittings
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 12-01-2020 at 04:01 PM.