Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter Adapter

PA20, your picture is upside down so , as you said, you have to punch a hole in the filter so it will drain back into the crank case before unscrewing it. My biggest reason for purchasing an Airwolf over the casper is so I would not have to drain back the oil from the "bad side" of the filter. The oil filter spends many hours collecting the impurities and keeping them from ever draining back into the crankcase by incorporating a check valve. If all a person could get was the upside down Casper version I would still buy it but I sure would be cringing as I poked that hole. Now apologize to your plane and turn that filter around!
    I am just another opinion, carry on.
    Bill
    EDIT: I see you have to punch 2 holes so it is too low to flow back...still aught to flip it then all you would have to do is turn it a little to drain the line and that be all.
    Last edited by MrBill; 01-13-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, in the photo of PA20's filter, the image is rotated 90 deg CCW, I resized it to 25% and posted it "upright".

Punching a small hole near the bottom and a vent hole near the top allows the oil to drain out into your waste container, and any oil in the lines will head back into the engine (and presumably out the sump drain into waste bucket.)
    A large funnel (maybe with a coffee filter to catch the suspended particles) with a hose at the bottom running to the bucket, and a bit of lockwire to hold it up close under the filter would be useful.
    https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...nel/399486_0_0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 01-14-2021 at 12:02 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glen. The flipping of that image spared my subconscious mind of the thought of all those hours of filtering being dumped back into the crankcase. I can sleep tonight!
    PA20, So far your filter system is #1 on my favorite list. I have always opted for the largest filter possible so I am with you on that for sure. The other reason seems to be all mine.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter & Seatbelts

Thatís the same STC Iím putting on my Clipper. The larger the filter, the more the cooling surface area. Airwolf also has a filter chiller, a set of fins that clamp on the filter to provide even more cooling capacity. The O-235 in the Clipper doesnít have a cooler, originally it only had a baffle box that went around the screen casting where the temperature bulb is located. Speculation is that it only fooled the gage and didnít really provide any cooling to the oil. I figured having a full flow filter will provide better filtering with the added be if it of actual cooling. With the Sutton exhaust, it also moves all that heat away from the filter and firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Useless as they are they do seem powerful enough to manipulate the gauge? ha. The person that opened his mouth to say that should have just said, 'no comment'. Fin's for cooling that is crazy voodoo. The way it manipulates the gauge proves it!DSC00903 (Large).JPGDSC00904 (Large).JPGI got this off of an electric engine used on my chainsaw sharpener. It fits perfectly over the oil filter on my truck. Crazy Chinese must have wanted the motor to look bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

I see you were talking about clippers box. You know, my PA22-150 seems to keep its oil a little too cool even in summer it could be a little higher. I was up at 10750' the other day at 20F and had the cooler taped off, it was perfect...175-180 but Looking at some of the videos I have of summer flying sometimes it was only a little into the green.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, on the O-235 (both Clipper and Colt), there is no oil cooler, just a box around the oil screen housing with a piece of duct from the baffle above the rear cylinders running into the box supposedly cooling the oil. I can't see how that little oil screen housing would have enough area to do much cooling! On my PA-16, that duct will be directed to blow cooling air over the filter mounted on the firewall. I'm sure that will provide a lot more cooling than the original set up. The added bonus will be taking the muffler from behind the engine and mounting it forward (Sutton exhaust), moving a major heat source away from where the oil filter is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oil Filter & Seatbelts

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The O-235 in the Clipper doesn’t have a cooler, originally it only had a baffle box that went around the screen casting where the temperature bulb is located. Speculation is that it only fooled the gage and didn’t really provide any cooling to the oil.
    Here are the test results proving no change in oil temp only indication. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...be-Blast-Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

I see now where that comment is acceptable. Sure your blasting cold air over the probe area, hope they did not spend too much time and money on that area of the study.

Post Thanks / Like

Likely just so they could show CAA (for runner of FAA) that there was acceptable oil temperature for certification of the PA-16/PA-12/PA-14 and eventually PA-22-108 without having to spend $ putting an oil cooler on the engine.