Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: VGs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vortex Generators

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose09 View Post
    At OSH now and considering buying the VG kit for my Tri-Pacer. Has anyone here
    done this mod and what type of performance improvements did you realize?

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

Did you end up putting the VGs on? I've got a '56 Tripacer and am interested to see how they work. Been getting 31D onto shorter off airport strips and am looking for ways to improve my short field with wife and two kids on board. Much appreciated.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my vortex generators from the paint shop, hope we can install them tomorrow on my PA16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Just got my vortex generators from the paint shop, hope we can install them tomorrow on my PA16
    Give us a report on how you like them.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Micro VG's

Im about to pull the trigger on a set of Micro VG's. Going with Micro Aerodynamics from the shortwingclub site. Anyone have any input on a different manufacturer before I buy? read the threads here and supercub.org and they seem to be the one's to go with

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Micro VG's

Micro are the only approved VGs for our Short Wings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VGs

Thanks read the thread , just wanted to make sure thats the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Micro are the only approved VGs for our Short Wings.
    Started my own micro VG installation this evening. Got one wing done in about 90 minutes.
    FE2463C8-6540-43A6-A946-B951111858DD.jpeg0B70BEA5-B6B1-47F5-B869-8CAD4524381B.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good to hear ! I have mine painted and ready to go Was wondering what time frame I was looking at

Post Thanks / Like

I have lost count on how many VG kits I have installed over the years.. Can easily get a painted set glued on in about 3 hours or so... Here are my tips..

1 - setup masking tape and string on one wing at a time.. mark for placement sheets.

2 - DO NOT install all of the green placement sheets at once... Instead, only place the first two sheets..

3 - Glue on the VG’s on the 2 sheets that are layers out...

4 - Place the next two sheets.

5 - remove the previous sheets.. The VG’s should be very well stuck on at this time..

6 - repeat steps 3 and 4 for length of wing..

Doing the VG’s this way makes clean up very quick and painless.. leaving those green sheets on for a long length of time and they wind up being a pain to remove..

I figure at least an hour per wing and an hour for tail surfaces.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Brian I deviated from your instructions above, slightly. I applied all five templates to one wing, glued those VG's, removed the templates and moved to the next wing. I had the good fortune to hear your installation recommendations when I called you once to order your gascolator. I can say that it worked very well and would highly recommend your approach as the cleanup can be the hardest part of the whole installation.

The instructions in the manual instruct you to install ALL the templates to all surfaces, then to glue ALL the VGs, then remove the templates, and cleanup.

Your process is better. The activated glue has enough adhesive strength on a VG, that you can remove the templates about 12 or 15 minutes after you stick down a VG. And the template will pull up all the excess glue that may ooze out while it's still soft enough to pull up.

Soon, you learn not to over-amp the application of glue. There's just a right amount to get a really good adhesion, but not so much that it oozes out. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for your input. It helped me. I have a whole package of unused clean-up Q-tip sticks now.

My first wing took about 90 minutes, the second wing took about 75 minutes. And the h-stab took about 45-50 minutes. Total time with cleanup and taking pics was less than 4 hours. My IA loved it. Signed my paperwork, etc. Now to go fly it!