Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VGs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: VGs

Quote Originally Posted by Bultaco Jim
    The Colt was more dramatic. In slow flight, before VGs, I could hold altitude at 1900rpm but not at 1800 approx. 60mph. After VGs, it held altitude at 1700rpm and was showing just under 40 mph. With just me in the Colt, it won't stall- power-on or off. All of the mph figures that I trained with (concerning landings), I now drop by 10 mph. There were no changes on either plane to cruise speed.
    I apologize for bringing up an old topic but figured it was better than starting a brand new thread on the same thing. I would like to install VGs on my Colt in hopes of getting a little bit of what Jim described above but do not know where to begin.
    I tried doing a search but "VGs" is too short for the search engine and "Vortex generators" only came up with 2 threads, this being one of them.
    Are VGs something you do when you recover the wings or are they mounted at anytime. I think I've only seen a set once up close but it has been a while so I don't remember exactly what they looked like up close.
    Also what kind of paper work will I need to push if any to make it legal?
    I've been having a blast with the Colt thus far but if it can be improved I'd love to do so and it seems a lot of people have opted for VGs and wingtips (one day as well) so I figure I'll start here.

Thank you for any and all info!
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew,
    I've got Microaero VG's on my Colt. Weather and my allergies permitting you can check them out at Cedar Mills on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

VG's will go on your Colt just fine and can be installed anytime. This is an STC, so your IA will need to sign off the 337 and send it in. Installation is not too difficult, talk to you IA.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Craig - Sounds good, the forecast is looking promising as well so far, should be a good day for it.

Stephen - Thanks for the additional info, looking forward to doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, the Micro Aerodynamics kit is very complete, with good instructions, that anybody whos handy can do. Takes a good 7 hrs, and is best done over two days (tedious, give yourself a break). My IA just looked in on me, and we went over the instructions for a minute. At $655. it's not cheap, (non-certified planes it's much cheaper), but I can't believe they weren't "made" for shortwings. Jim
    P.S. Do some slow flight maneuvers and stalls, and write the MPH figures down before installation, so you can see the actual differences.

Post Thanks / Like

Default VGs

Do VGs help any on short wing pipers and if so on what and how much do they help

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a good thread on vortex generators. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...tex+generators

Post Thanks / Like

Default VGs

thanks Steve that helped

Post Thanks / Like

this is what im thinking of putting it onAttachment 1958

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed them and have experienced similar findings as those in the other thread. I have much greater aileron response at low airspeeds and have also noticed my elevator is much more effective when flaring. Before installing them and landing threepoint, I would often run out of elevator before the tailwheel would touch. With the VGs I can now touch the tailwheel before the mains at lower speeds and have much more control during the descent/flare.