Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: McCauley pros and cons

Post Thanks / Like

Default McCauley pros and cons

Looking for a pair of wheels I can afford to fit my wagabond, I ran across a pair of Cessna McCauleys removed for an upgrade to Clevelands. Whats problem/disadvantage of McCauleys? Thanks in advance. Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: McCauley pros and cons

Somebody must know something about McCauley 6x6 wheels and brakes on a shortwing. Just tell me if I should stay away from them or not. Are they more expensive to repair? Thanks again Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I had McCauley wheels and double puck brakes on my PA22/20. They were fine and brake linings from Rapco were the same
    price as Cleveland brakes. I would think they would be way to heavy for a Wagabond. Probably the 150/152 size would be fine
    with the single piston caliper. Watch the thickness of the rotor, if it's to thin and your pads are worn the piston in the caliper can go too far and you lose all your fluid and braking. (at roughly the same time)
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It seems like there was a Service Bulletin on the McCauley wheels that Cessna used but I can't remember the specifics. They use Allen head bolts to hold the halves together. I have a set off a C180 that broke the lugs out of the backing plate on roll out. The caliper looked to the disc and kept going. Ripped the fitting right out of the caliper. I will see if I can see what the SB was about.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, there
    Cessna/McCaulley no longer supports the McCaulley Brakes. While pads and disc's may be availible on the aftermarket side, Pistons and calipers are like hens teeth. Cessna has a Bulliten (don't remember the number) to replace the McCaulley Brakes with Cleveland Brakes with only a logbook entry which might explain why a set of McCauley brakes are just laying around.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleavland bought the Mc Cauley line from Cessna. They list the brakes and wheels in their catalog but only offer some replacement parts. Over/under torque of the allen head bolts on the three piece wheel will cause the wheel to seperate when exposed to side loads. I belive that is what the SB was about.