Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheet metal question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sheet metal question.

jSteve used 2024 0.025" for the lower cowl and 2024 0.032" on the upper cowl of the Clipper. We used the 0.025" material on the bottom cowl because we ran out of the 0.032" material. The FAA blessed this change.

Four years and 400 hours later there are no cracks. Steve did however shorten the intake scoop because cracks usually form between the front of the scoop and the front of the cowl. Shortening the scoop left more material in front of it. We also used a larger doubler around the fresh air intake scoop for the heater then Piper did.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I was wondering where everyone is going to get their sheet aluminum? Rex, is there a local source here in Dallas or did you order it from one of the catalogs?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I have been getting all of my sheet metal up to .032 from Aircraft Spruce. The have beat every other supplier I have ever used. Shipping is not that bad because they can roll the sheet and ship UPS. My last order was for 1 sheet each of .025 2024, .032 2024 and .032 5052 all 4 X 12 and they rolled all three sheets and the total shipping was around $30.00. The sheets cost $125.95, $149.95 and $59.50 respectively. You have to call the order in in order for them to roll and ship, for some reason that is not an option on the on-line ordering system. And they can only roll up to .032, anything larger is truck freight.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Andrew, I get my aluminum from AMI 800-395-5942 in Dallas or Ft. Worth. Delivered it is cheaper than Spruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, that is good to know!

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 2024 .025. it springs a little, but appears to be very resilient to denting or kinking. I like it.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3003 for everything except the floors which i used 2024. An old timer once told me that piper never used any "hard" aluminum. I got most of it from Airparts Inc.in Kansas City. www.airpartsinc.com
    -Super Stub-