Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

Quote Originally Posted by BPQ View Post
    I'm a new member, just bought a '56 Tri Pacer. It needs new bungees any chance your tool is still available. my email is robertbutterfieldjr@gmail.com

Thanks.
    BPQ
    where in Indiana are you located? I’m in the indianapolis area. I have a bungee tool you can use if you are in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Shelbyville and travel to Indy all the time. I'd be more than glad to pick it up.
    Thanks, Bob Butterfield

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1950 PA-20, and the bungees are sagging, again. I have O-320 engine with gross wt increase to 1950, that maybe explains part of the sagging. The Univair on-line catalog requires ser numbers 1 - 811 use a single 1380 chord (1160 lbs.) on each side, which is what I have been using. Univair says that "52 and later use 2 1080HD (800 lbs.) on each side. Will that fit on my original hydrasorb, or is a different hydrasorb required? The channel on the upper side appears to have no more room for another chord, even though the 1080 is slightly smaller diameter than the 1380.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgoering View Post
    I have a 1950 PA-20, and the bungees are sagging, again. I have O-320 engine with gross wt increase to 1950, that maybe explains part of the sagging. The Univair on-line catalog requires ser numbers 1 - 811 use a single 1380 chord (1160 lbs.) on each side, which is what I have been using. Univair says that "52 and later use 2 1080HD (800 lbs.) on each side. Will that fit on my original hydrasorb, or is a different hydrasorb required? The channel on the upper side appears to have no more room for another chord, even though the 1080 is slightly smaller diameter than the 1380.
    Did you look at page 12 of this thread where Vagabond Blues talks about the earlier fittings? there are also some pictures posted of them. Looks like the thing to do would be to swap with later model fittings and the set of cords. I probably have a set of fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgoering View Post
    I have a ‘50 pacer with an O-320 also. My hydrosorbs have the lower cord ears welded to the body of the shock unlike the later ones with the cup style fitting that slides over the shock. I used two cords on each hydrosorb. I was initially concerned about the area that contains the cord but it has been working fine. I’ll have to check my records to see which cords I used. Here are some pictures IMG_7129.jpgIMG_7130.jpgIMG_7131.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Great. We have the left side done and it looks great. Right side will be Monday.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody in Utah have a bungee buddy tool I could borrow? My outside bungee is rubbing near the flap handle and has started to cut in to it. My bungees are only 2 years old, so I think I just need to replace the outside one.
    Anybody else have issues with their bungees getting cut from rubbing on the airplane?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

There's information elsewhere on this thread about which shock cords fit which Shortwing/configuration, but here's food for thought:
    Choose the smallest cross-section (X/S below) that has the load capacity (Test Lbs) for your plane (I'm assuming a tri-Pacer 150 because that's the vast majority of Shortwings.)
    Two 5/8" X/S take up less room than two 3/4", maybe that will provide the clearance you need to prevent chafing.
    Descrip X/S x Dia Test Lbs
    1080HD 5/8" x 8" 900#
    1280 3/4" x 8" 750#
    1280HD 3/4" x 8" 950#

I put 1080HD on my Tri-Pacer 150, they are plenty strong and they just clear the surrounding hardware.
    And you should probably replace both at once, so they age at the same time.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    There's information elsewhere on this thread about which shock cords fit which Shortwing/configuration, but here's food for thought:
    Choose the smallest cross-section (X/S below) that has the load capacity (Test Lbs) for your plane (I'm assuming a tri-Pacer 150 because that's the vast majority of Shortwings.)
    Two 5/8" X/S take up less room than two 3/4", maybe that will provide the clearance you need to prevent chafing.
    Descrip X/S x Dia Test Lbs
    1080HD 5/8" x 8" 900#
    1280 3/4" x 8" 750#
    1280HD 3/4" x 8" 950#

I put 1080HD on my Tri-Pacer 150, they are plenty strong and they just clear the surrounding hardware.
    And you should probably replace both at once, so they age at the same time.
    Excellent information, thanks Glen
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

that's the biggest reason I've stayed with the 1080hd
    "Progress is our most important problem"