Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

No "Bungee Buddy" but I built a tool this last year, used it on my 22, a conversion project 22/20(mine),a 20 out of Skypark & a SuperCub, looks similar to the one pictured in #165 with a few added mods & the Jack/Power portion was done differently...

ps Not sure why it says "Grain Valley, MO (E. Kansas City)" I tried to change it a while back, but it wouldn't go thru so I gave up as it doesn't really matter to me. I'm In Clinton, UT

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Christensen View Post
    Anybody in Utah have a bungee buddy tool I could borrow? My outside bungee is rubbing near the flap handle and has started to cut in to it. My bungees are only 2 years old, so I think I just need to replace the outside one.
    Anybody else have issues with their bungees getting cut from rubbing on the airplane?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Last edited by doc; 12-31-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought new bungees and they are dated Oct 2016. I've always heard bungees are good for 5 years. Is that from when you install them or from when they are dated? Their already 4 years oldIMG_20200119_160349.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen any hard & fast rule that said you must replace at 5 years. In practical terms they are likely good until they start sagging which is really about the only time that most people change them, not saying that is right, but it's a fact. A LOT of things will come into when that is. How they were stored, how hard they are landed, i.e. how much & how often they are stretched, U/V will accelerate the rubber breaking down as will oil or fuel contamination, and I didn't notice if they were CW's or not, but landing hard & stretching them in extremely cold weather will also contribute to premature failure, hence why there are CW(Cold Weather) shock cords.

With all that said I'd call the vendor & ask them about it, but if they won't do anything about it I'd install & run them. I just ordered a set from Chief for my PA-12 yesterday, 2 sets of 1280HD's, they should be here this week, it'll be interesting to see how old they are.

Just bought new bungees and they are dated Oct 2016. I've always heard bungees are good for 5 years. Is that from when you install them or from when they are dated? Their already 4 years oldIMG_20200119_160349.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would call the vendor but you might call Superior and see what they say. I have always gotten fresh stock from Univair and Spruce. Like posted above I think UV is the culprit on new bungees life.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I was replacing way too many nearly new tires on my rarely used motor home due to cracking and the leaking or blowing out. I looked into solutions and found rubber breaks down much faster when it's not exercised regularly. No tire coating products will work as well as the flexing rubber needs to migrate the elasticisors blended into the rubber. Personally, I'm leary of old rubber products.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blo...ubber-dry-rot/

From one of the many articals covering inactivity leading to rubber breakdown.

....."Rubber that gets regular use will retain its flexibility and molecular properties longer than neglected rubber. For example, although they’re exposed to UV rays daily, the tires on the car you drive regularly are actually more resistant to rot than tires hidden away in a dark garage. During the manufacturing process, the tire-maker adds a protective compound to the rubber formulation. Regular use causes the tire to flex and compress, pushing this protective substance to the surface. This doesn’t happen in an unused tire, so the rubber is more vulnerable to damage from ozone and oxidation"......
    Last edited by Jim; 01-20-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Over the years I was replacing way too many nearly new tires on my rarely used motor home due to cracking and the leaking or blowing out. I looked into solutions and found rubber breaks down much faster when it's not exercised regularly. No tire coating products will work as well as the flexing rubber needs to migrate the elasticisors blended into the rubber. Personally, I'm leary of old rubber products.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blo...ubber-dry-rot/

From one of the many articals covering inactivity leading to rubber breakdown.

....."Rubber that gets regular use will retain its flexibility and molecular properties longer than neglected rubber. For example, although they’re exposed to UV rays daily, the tires on the car you drive regularly are actually more resistant to rot than tires hidden away in a dark garage. During the manufacturing process, the tire-maker adds a protective compound to the rubber formulation. Regular use causes the tire to flex and compress, pushing this protective substance to the surface. This doesn’t happen in an unused tire, so the rubber is more vulnerable to damage from ozone and oxidation"......
    Thanks for that Jim, I did not know that. Very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't change mine until they are sagging--lots. I like them when they have been worn and get a little softer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I make a habit of rocking the wings, after rolling the plane back into the hangar, by grabbing the front and rear struts up at the wing and lifting upwards enough to allow the two mains to slide together, thus relaxing the tension on the cords. I believe this has extended the life of my bungees quite a bit. My mains appear to have a slight toe in alignment rolling forward so the opposite action extends the mains and stretches the cords when rolling backwards into the hangar.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Same effect on my Vag, although I don't have bungees. The French replaced them with Messier oleo shocks back in the late 50s.
    After pulling backwards into the hangar I rock my wings so the oleos "close".
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Justin,

Just an FYI, the 1280HD bungees(ok everyone, I know that's heavy, these are actually for a PA12) I had on order showed up yesterday, they are dated OCT 2018, so a year plus a little, old...