Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

smcnutt, I agree. I've always based replacement 'on condition'. Color codes are pretty much useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Has anybody used or anyone know if you can use a bungee tool like this for installing bungees on a hydrasorb type shock for a PA-22? https://secure.steenaero.com/Store/s...DF2A6172891E71
    That does not look like it would work on a hydrosorb type bungee installation.
    No idea what it IS for, maybe call the manufacturer or vendor and ask them what its for.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Glen,

I think that tool would work on our planes. That "cup" on the end would go over and hold on to the ear while the stretching cord would hold the tool against the hydrosorb as it's being wrenched/stretched up to the ear.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-27-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also replace mine on condition when the gear doors don’t snug up to the bumpers; Twice in 24 years. The first set lasted about 18 years. The still looked good when I cut them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi Glen,

I think that tool would work on our planes. That "cup" on the end would go over and hold on to the ear while the stretching cord would hold the tool against the hydrosorb as it's being wrenched/stretched up to the ear.
    Jim,

I want to stand way back and watch you give it a try. It looks deadly to me. Long ago I made a similar tool to install bungees on my J3, it was exciting.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

0128200853.jpgHi Stephen,

I've changed them a few times myself using home made flesh traps. If that tool was here I'd give it a try. I'm down for annual now and plan to change cords with an interesting homebuilt tool I borrowed from a crop duster friend. I'll post a picture a little later, it's a design that's, ....interesting, hopefully not lethal.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-28-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Has anybody used or anyone know if you can use a bungee tool like this for installing bungees on a hydrasorb type shock for a PA-22? https://secure.steenaero.com/Store/s...DF2A6172891E71
    I have a tool similar to that and it works on the Clipper very well. It will work on a hydrosorb but it pulls the bungee from one end arond the hydrosorb 180 degrees. The Bungee Buddy pulls both ends towards the ears thus more evenly, less likely to tear the outside weeve and in my opinion much easier to use.

I have had bungees stored in my cabinet for years and not seen any issues. I think the UV would be the big issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably shouldn’t admit this but I am currently flying a set of bungees that have been installed at least 20 years. They still look good but I have been thinking about changing them on general principle anyway.

I think the Steen tool is for their aircraft but I don’t know what their bungee system looks like because I have never worked a Pitts or Skybolt.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 01-30-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,
    Here is a measured sketch and some photos, plus a work instruction and video, for the Bungee Boss.
    This tool uses a telescoping car jack that can usually be found at your local auto wrecking yard.
    Thanks to Forrest "Pacerfgoe" Miller and Lou "Lownslow" who originally produced this cool gadget.
    Here's Forrest demonstrating the installation of fresh rings on his Pacer shocks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgL5JGSy748&t=6s

Cheers,
    GG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Plane goes into annual at the end of the month. I found a Good I/A who is going to do an owner assisted for me. I have ordered new bungee's because mine are 11 years old and Im going to be landing off airport and figured It would be good to do them now. I have the Bungee Buddy coming from SWPC.org.
    I have read the PDF , but wanted to ask about securing the tail wheel end of a PA22/20.
    I plan to do one side at a time with an engine hoist but not sure how the tail wheel will react. Should I put it on a sawhorse ?