Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

[QUOTE=Glen Geller;128412]I don't recall which is preferred to install first, the 5/8" dia (1080) or the 3/4" dia (1280), does anyone recall which size goes on the hydrosorbs first?

I starting using the 1080HD 1280HD combo following the TW conversion (now 30 years ago) which puts more weight on mains. Yes a little stiff for the first few months but I got a lot longer life span between bungee changes with the combo.

I started out putting the larger 1280HD on first and the 1080HD on top and did that for probably 6 ore 8 times. My thinking was the 1280HD is stiffer so being on the bottom stretches it less.

In recent times, maybe the last 4 times, I've been putting the larger 1280HD on top of the 1080HD since the smaller 5/8th bungee fits down in the hydrasorb ears better and provides more room for the 3/4 inch to flatten out.

Either way the top bolt is an interference fit. I normally put a thin aluminum scrap metal strip between the bungee and the bolt which allows the bolt head to be tapped with a hammer past the bungee with no damage to the outer cloth.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are some earlier posts in this thread on which to install first and why. I can't remember but I do know we were able to remove one because we did it the opposite and it was a scary process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the Stewart Hanger 21 Bungee Tool from the Club here at the house now . The instructions say to install the 1080
    first

” This will leave more seating area for the larger 1280 in the small end of the hydrosorb “

They also enclose two testimonials from members who used the come along method on the gear . I have the engine hoist and stap for my install but I can see where the other way may give you more control for bolt alignment where putting it all back together
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 11-14-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done them both ways, the 1080 then 1280 definitely works better for exactly the reason their instructions note. as to installing the hydrasorb/bungee combo in the aircraft, I've always found that that the engine hoist to lift worked best for me
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    I have the Stewart Hanger 21 Bungee Tool from the Club here at the house now . The instructions say to install the 1080
    first

” This will leave more seating area for the larger 1280 in the small end of the hydrosorb “

They also enclose two testimonials from members who used the come along method on the gear . I have the engine hoist and stap for my install but I can see where the other way may give you more control for bolt alignment where putting it all back together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    I've done them both ways, the 1080 then 1280 definitely works better for exactly the reason their instructions note. as to installing the hydrasorb/bungee combo in the aircraft, I've always found that that the engine hoist to lift worked best for me
    I also believe I greatly extended the life of the bungees if I lift rock the wings after rolling back into the hanger, to allow the tires to slide inward and fully unload the bungees. You really don't have to lift the tires off the ground just get some weight off in a rocking motion by grasping the struts up at the wings and the bungees will fully collapse the hydrosorbs. I might add I don't fly that much in recent years. If flying often I would save my back and leave them stretched.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, taking them out was easy 1 hour 15 minutes start to finish on that part - solo No help
    Bungees are about to be cut off but I think I have a problem
    Over time someone has Grinded off some of the top tab on one side
    Both shocks are that way
    I think I may have to buy new top pieces

57D3623F-1203-4B4F-B525-F041A16239AF.jpeg

069732CA-45D9-4ABF-B12F-4937E00F0AD6.jpeg

I flipped one over both ears should look
    like the one on the left as you guys know

WHY WOULD SOMEONE DO THAT ?

Now it’s gonna cost me 180 a side to buy new top pieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I may have to bite the bullet and get new top pieces . These are Bent

5B890586-B55B-44A8-8C1F-A504195F4690.jpeg

How do you remove them ? I see a small roll pin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

7A0AB77A-727C-4370-9EF1-A634FA9C1DA0.jpeg

And the bottom looks like someone again grinded off the side

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think the side of the ears will effect anything, not sure why someone did that though. It does look like the top has a bowed to it. I probably have some tops if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Steve ! But once I saw had bad they were I started poking around the internet and found a whole set of top and bottoms , both sides for 110 bucks . Impatiently waiting for them to arrive .
    These are both bowed . Hard to imagine . No cracks , just bent