Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What is your Shortwing performance goal?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.) Speed

11 36.67%
  • 2.) STOL

19 63.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peformance Goal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peformance Goal

I think we all own our Shortwings for many of the same reasons: general utility, price, maintainability, nostalgia, looks, etc. There is, however, a truism in aviation that everything is a compromise. Since no one can be perfectly "in the middle," which way do you lean? I'd like to see how many of us can actually come out on one side of the other regarding the speed versus STOL argument. My plane (BatPacer) does not haul the mail. It is much more geared to off strip conditions where it is important to me to break ground and have an excellent rate of climb in short order. But...I have to spank it pretty hard to see 3 digits on the airspeed indicator. Of course I wish it cruised faster but I have spent my time and money making it go slower! I know I can't have the best of both worlds. Poll is attached. What is the priority for your flying?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Peformance Goal

Hi,

......I have spent my time and money making it go slower!

Me too. I'm pretty sure I still can have the slowest plane out of about 50 or so in South Haven Michigan.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say speed is more important to me. I intend to land it in at least 49 states when we are finished with the rebuild. I do love the utility of the airplane. They are a lot of bang for the buck.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 49 states? Where's your sense of adventure? I've got a couple of 5 gallon cans you can use if you want to try Hawaii.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone
    I would have to say speed is more important to me. I intend to land it in at least 49 states when we are finished with the rebuild. I do love the utility of the airplane. They are a lot of bang for the buck.
    A couple of trips to the gravel bars in the Brazos River might change your mind but maybe not since you know why my Clipper is being restored.

I like more speed but I like the utility to be able to land off-airport. Like you said, everything is a compromise.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I'm retired, what's the rush, besides I love making those off airport landings.

My previous plane was a J-3, which barely saw two digits on the ASI.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I like to travel to new destinations, and land on shorter strips, so I'm screwed! Seriously, the Pacer is itself a very good compromise. If I NEEDED to go 160mph, I would have bought a Mooney. And there are times that I wish that I'd brought the Colt, cause the trip is over too fast!

Post Thanks / Like

For the price, my Tri Pacer has provided me with adequate speed and stol. Getting off in 800 ft is fine with me, as is getting it down again in that space. I usually see around 105-107 kts true, so I'm satisfied with that. My problem is the constant 25-35kt winds aloft. A commanche 180 would be a little nicer for those conditions. Overall, for the price I pay, I can't find anything that'll do what I want any better.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone around here would argue that the Clipper/Pacer/Tri-Pacer line is not just about the best compromise airplane you can buy for under $50K (and falling...but that's another thread). In stock form, it has good speed and decent short-field performance (book numbers just slightly better than a C-172). This poll is directed to folks that IF they are going to do any mods to suit their flying, which direction will you lean. I suppose, though, if you want to put a vote in each category and then tell the readership just how you intend to make it fly faster AND slower, that would add serious value to the discussion. My answer to that is just buy two and when my rich uncle with the gold mine dies and leaves it to me, I will buy a stock Pacer with small tires, all the fairings, 160hp, and a cruise prop. On the "other" site, some of the numbers posted for the Speed Challenge are darn impressive. I mean, 140+mph is real speed! Keep the votes coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to have a bit of both worlds - a bit faster by using as many drag saving ideas I can find - I will be using some of Miss Pearls mods. plus a few in the engine cooling and cowling department. At the slow end a set of VG's and decent brakes should be enough for where I want to go.
    I would love to be able to land on gravel beds in rivers etc. (the fishing is always better where it's hard to get too) but I have a healthy respect for my advancing years and deteriorating skill level that goes with it.

Curly