Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Quick drain oil leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick drain oil leak.

Hello, me again.

I have a C-85-8 with an oil quick drain. I've never owned a plane with a quick drain.

I did an oil change, hot oil, send some out for testing, yada, yada, put everything back together.
    Four quarts of Aeroshell back in, no leaks.
    Taxi around until the oil temp is 140 degrees, no leaks.
    Three days later, pre-flight, fly for 2 hours. Eight landings and take-offs. No leaks.
    Refuel plane, Put the plane away. No leaks.
    Putz around the hanger for 2 hours, no leaks. Go home.
    Today I go into the hanger and there is oil directly under the quick drain. Not a lot, the dipstick still reads 4 qts (ish).
    Is this normal? Why would this happen? What do I do next?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick drain oil leak.

It may have come from up above and run the lowest point, the quick drain. Start looking with a dry fine checking the oil tank, mag gaskets etc. I’ve never had one leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Crankcase vent perhaps? Stick a rolled up piece of blue paper shop towel inside the tube of the quick drain to verify. I have had old Curtis oil quick drains seep.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I fixed it!
    Back over to the hanger today, to find more oil in the drip pan. About a tablespoon full.
    I bit the bullet and pulled the upper and lower cowlings off, just to get more light in there.
    Crawl under and stick my head up close enough so I can actually focus on it. I realize the safety wire is wrong. It's pulling in the "loosen" direction.
    I cut the safety wire, torque the valve down, put new safety wire on in the proper direction, torque seal it, and put the plane back together.

I taxied it until it reached operating temperature and put it away. I'll go back in the morning and check the drip pan.