Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot vent window

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pilot vent window

Does anyone have the part number for the pin that the vent window latch uses on the bracket that attaches to the fuselage? Interesting design. You need to remove the pin to gain access to the screw holding the bracket to the fuselage. That destroys the pin. Clearance is too close to use a screw and nut.
    Thanks!
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pilot vent window

Hi,

Many end up using a hardware store cotter pin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jim. I ended up using a long #4 rivet. After I set it, I filed the ends to narrow the profile. Seems to work fine and I have about 5,000 of those rivets. I could not source a 1/8” X 9/16” tubular rivet so I tried the rivet. Next would have been a stainless cotter pin.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2709P View Post
    Does anyone have the part number for the pin that the vent window latch uses on the bracket that attaches to the fuselage? Interesting design. You need to remove the pin to gain access to the screw holding the bracket to the fuselage. That destroys the pin. Clearance is too close to use a screw and nut.
    Thanks!
    N2709P
    I have some of the correct hollow rivets if you need one. There are 2 different sizes for the latch assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mholton63, that would be great. I need the rivet that goes in the bracket that is screwed to the door frame on the fuselage. If you have the P/N I can source them and not clean out your stash. I am glad to pay for the rivet and shipping costs.
    ‘Regards,
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

I just squeezed a standard 1 inch 1/8 dia solid aluminum rivet. I did polish the anodized plating off the rivet with emory cloth to get it to pass through the hinge and lever easier. It would have been too snug without doing so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=N2709P;143956]mholton63, that would be great. I need the rivet that goes in the bracket that is screwed to the door frame on the fuselage. If you have the P/N I can source them and not clean out your stash. I am glad to pay for the rivet and shipping costs.
    ‘Regards,
    N2709P[/QUOTE

Private message me an address and I’ll send you one.

Mark

N3320Z

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use a small Phillips pan head screw, thin washers and a nylok nut, this allows you to put a little bit friction on the hinge and it won't flop around in the open position.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    You can also use a small Phillips pan head screw, thin washers and a nylok nut, this allows you to put a little bit friction on the hinge and it won't flop around in the open position.

GG
    That's my setup. Works fine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello,
    Has anyone used this vent window slide? It is sold on the ‘short wing Piper Club’ website. We purchased it and really aren’t convinced it is the way to go. Anyone have it and want to let us know your thoughts?IMG_1482.jpeg