Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Door catch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Door catch

image.jpgSteve, you're absolutely right. I pretty much followed the instructions that came with the thing, but had no sooner got it mounted and working when I started seeing some very good alternatives.

I'm pretty small in stature so I haven't --as yet-- caught myself or anything else on it, but can certainly see the potential. Just a few weeks after I got it on, I saw this on another SWPC member's plane at our local field and immediately started planning.

One more thing on the "to do" list! And thanks for the heads up-- I'll let you know if that proves to be an issue (unless I change it before then). Unfortunately, being a student pilot still involved in "fixing" stuff, she hasn't been in the air for a while.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    Walt, Forgive me for saying… But that SWPC SkyCatch looks like it will "catch" your shirt, or worse, some skin on a regular basis.
    If the strut catch is located above the the strut it is much less likely to catch on anything near it.
    Let us know how you like this device after living with it for a few hours.
    Sincerely, Steve
    Steve and All.....
    I had a set of those catches that were going to be installed after I put on the sealed struts. I just could not bring myself to dedicate the labor to install them. I finally re-engineered the old "screen door" style catches and put them on. They likely do not hold as well, but they are not obtrusive, and don't catch my coat!

Post Thanks / Like

after my rebuild I use the SW model and so far---good. with the bottom tab I plan to mount my gopro on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, I'll hang my coat on it, great idea ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody have a method or advice on TIGHTENING the strut mount to catch the door better? Slightest movement and door crashes (well not THAT bad) shut, but won't stay open in a breeze etc. while doing preflight etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Which kind do you have? If it's the kind I have (above) you can just squeeze the catch side to be a little tighter.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

It is shaped like a "Y" at the opening, with an inside space shaped like a diamond to match the one on the door. Spring loaded sides. Will have to take a picture of it next time at hangar.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a skyketch type....Turn the screw on the catch 1/4 turn will give more preload on the ball. Look at PeterL image #3 post #23 this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, will do. I'll let you know how it goes too. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_2438.jpgIMG_2439.jpgThis is the type of latch on the Main door, and it needs to be tightened somehow. Left is on strut, right is on door. Ideas welcome.

Squeezing it (catch portion) seems to flatten and negate tightening it.