Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Gauge and Sender

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Gauge and Sender

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Thinking more about your issue: If you are using the JPI and Piper gage on the same sender I would disconnect the Piper gage and see what happens on the JPI system an likewise the use Piper gage only.
    The Piper fuel gage system is current driven. The gage is basically a Wheatstone bridge that measures current. The sender changes the current flowing thru one leg. The gage is an amp meter calibrated in gallons. I don’t know what the JPI uses but being solid state I suspect it is looking for voltage signal.
    I think the JPI and Piper system are not playing well together.
    JPI does not use voltage, its current driven as well and you use the resistance readings to "calibrate" the gauge as you fill the tanks. I will drain the tanks and go through the calibration again after I verify the gauges separately.

I think the best bet for me is to one day in the near future install the 25 gallon tanks with sight gauges and not worry about the electronic readings other than fuel flow and total burned.

Post Thanks / Like

well, it looks like univar no longer offers any fuel sending units anymore. anyone have a idea were i might find one? (pa22).

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskamech View Post
    well, it looks like univar no longer offers any fuel sending units anymore. anyone have a idea were i might find one? (pa22).

Terry
    el looka like thisa fitto.. but I donta paythema mucha tension, I usea sticka in the tanka trust tha sticka more a. No trust da fuela gauga
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Terry
    I have some spare tanks with senders in them I would part with the senders only catch is, I am not home till the evening of the 20th.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you both i will do some more trouble shooting and get back with you. i have found some good trouble shooting info on this sight and will be verifying the unit is bad. it was replaced with a new one about 15 years ago so i will use this info to check and verify its the sender. Terry

Post Thanks / Like

thank you both i will do some more trouble shooting and get back with you. i have found some good trouble shooting info on this sight and will be verifying the unit is bad. it was replaced with a new one about 15 years ago so i will use this info to check and verify its the sender. Terry
    Check the ground wire... double check the ground wire. Clean it up, then run a new ground wire and double check new ground wire. Are you seeing a pattern here for bad readings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Check the ground wire... double check the ground wire. Clean it up, then run a new ground wire and double check new ground wire. Are you seeing a pattern here for bad readings?
    Great advice.
    I ran a new ground wire from the tank sender to the avionics central ground. The original ground to the wing is ​NOT reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was checking mine out, I found it relatively easy to check resistance in the sender rheostat. If it goes from zero to about 30 ohms -- highest resistance when float is UP -- the sender's good.

Ditto what Gilbert said -- both my tanks already had a second ground wire, from the sender to the frame. (In my case, I had then both wired back asswards... noobie mistake!)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, looking for a PA-22 fuel sender to replace one of ours. Any direction given as to who might have one would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a source for the 30 Ohm wire wound resistor at the back of the piper fuel gage? The insulating phenolic on one of mine has broken off.