Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fuel Gauge and Sender

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar issue full was about 5/8 on the gauges. I ran one tank completely dry, not intentionally, so I figured it was time to figure it out, sender or gauge. I pulled the tank cover and disconnected the wire off the sender. Hooked up a digital ohm meter and while watching with my borescope raised and lowered the float with a bent coat hanger. The sending unit ohm readings were spot on thru their full travel. So i assumed the gauges. Chief Aircraft Mitchel D1-211-5076 30 ohm $71 each but the hole opening has to be increased a little. Did most of it with a roto burr. Work perfectly now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel level sending unit replacement

Hi group,
    Just wondering how difficult it is to remove the sending unit from the fuel tank with it installed in the wing. My right gauge hasn't worked in awhile, and I recently replaced the gauge. The new gauge works, but only reads full. It works fine when I use the wire from the left wing, so I think it's the sending unit.
    It looks like I can get to the screws on the tank just fine, but is it difficult to remove the sending unit without removing the entire tank?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel level sending unit replacement

Getting the screws out is the hard part. Once they are out the sending unit comes right out. Have you trouble shot the system? I would do that before I pulled the sender.

See post #5 and accompanying drawing.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...+trouble+shoot
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-13-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fuel Gauge and Sender

I merged your thread with another on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I seen a place on here that rebuilt fuel senders, can anybody help?
    Last edited by Doug H; 01-21-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what Gilbert said, X2! Since I was planning to remove my wings anyway, I did it then. Hardest part is getting at the slotted screws, which are right behind some of the vertical & diagonal pieces in the butt rib. I couldn't get anywhere with the original screws and the tanks in the wings.

One thing I did was to replace the slotted-head screws with socket-head screws. In theory, that should make it easier next time.... Also thoroughly cleaned, sanded & primed mating surface on tank, replaced original cork gaskets with new rubber ones, used new built-in rubber gasket washers, and installed a new ground wire. (New butt ribs are Univair.)

PS: removing the wings was far easier than I had imagined: it took me & my A&P --just the two of us-- only 1-1/2 hrs to remove them!

DSC06442.jpgDSC06451.jpgDSC07003.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    I thought I seen a place on here that rebuilt fuel senders, can anybody help?
    I remember an ad in Trade-A-Plane, seems like it was in Lockhaven.