Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel Shimmy and Spring Arch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tailwheel Shimmy and Spring Arch

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    A small change to the above, since Bill wrote that article, Part 21 has been rewritten. 21.303 is now 21.7, and the appropriate citation would be 14 CFR 21.7(a)(5) for owner produced parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, it's 14 CFR 21.9(a)(5).
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that a scott 3200 tailwheel with that 8" wheel combined with the taller ABI spring will raise your tail and increase your takeoff distance. I flew a Pacer that had the original 1 1/4 spring and an API 4" solid rubber tailwheel http://apitailwheels.com/wp-content/...18/03/6124.jpg and man did that get off the ground fast, at least 100' shorter takeoff roll than mine with the taller 8" scott 3200 tailwheel. Taxiing was more difficult because the tail is about 3 inches lower with the API 4" tailwheel so you can't see over the nose as you taxi or as you begin the takeoff roll or pull the tail down to rotate at a lower airspeed.
    I find 100 feet hard to believe. I have been practicing everyday for the Texas STOL RoundUp at the end of the month and after removing my Baby Bushweel and installing a hard rubber Maule I didn't gain near that kind of distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

lowered my tail 4.5"
    BBW.jpg

Maule.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

You can sure tell that the Maule lowered the tail, are your indicated airspeeds the same as you lift off or do you lift off at a lower airspeed with the Maule? Its possible you are already attaining the max lift AOA if you have bigger main tires? I was using stock gear and stock tires and I was off the ground at 50 IAS with the 4" tailwheel vs 65 IAS with the Scott 3200, and that did make a difference in the ground run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am feeling the airplane and looking outside so I have no idea what my indicated airpeed is at lift off. The smaller tailwheel helped but is not practical for my normal operations. I can rotate sooner and have more clearance to not hit the tailwheel on rotation. I think what you are seeing in a 100 foot difference is the difference in two airplanes. I have flown a lot of Pacers and Super Cubs and no two are ever the same, way too many variables from engine hp, rigging, drag, mods etc. When I bought my Super Cub it was pretty much stock on 700 tires with VGs. It has slowly been transformed into what I want for what I do with it and all my mods were one one at a time to see exactly what effect they had on the performance of the airplane. If you want to truly see what the difference in tailwheel height does to your take-off performance get one with your airplane and change the tailwheel in the same day under same conditions. I think the critical attitude is not something you are going to use very much as you are on the very ragged edge and at the mercy of several forces.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly OT but there is this old timer out west that swore by the Maule, that is until he wrecked a good handful in his hunting guiding bandit days. Eventually he got the good news and went Supercub. His tale goes something like this:

Ralf heads down to the Maule factory back when old man Maule was still tearing it up himself. He makes a deal on one right then and there and then bets the old man something like a thousand off the purchase price that he can get off 100 feet shorter. I don't recall the exact numbers and after this many tellings I'm sure the facts have grown into lies anyway.

Mr. Maule takes the bet and proceeds to rip off one of his best, taxis back to the ramp and hands the keys to Ralf. Now Ralf proceeds to have the tail wheel assembly removed after much bickering and lays a 2x6 flat on the ground a hundred feet short of the previous take off and proceeds to show those boys how it's done in western alaska and Mr. Maule has to count back ten crisp hundred dollar bills back to Ralf.

What comes to mind is I'm sure Ralf had ripped more then a couple tail wheels off guiding the big game and I'm sure he hit more then a couple driftwood logs as well, he has the number one B&C Wally tusk set in his living room, so I'm guessing he had more experience getting off a beach without a tail wheel then most.

Ask me some time to tell you how on his last flight he had a stroke while airborne in his cub and lived to tell the tail...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I am feeling the airplane and looking outside so I have no idea what my indicated airpeed is at lift off. The smaller tailwheel helped but is not practical for my normal operations. I can rotate sooner and have more clearance to not hit the tailwheel on rotation. I think what you are seeing in a 100 foot difference is the difference in two airplanes. I have flown a lot of Pacers and Super Cubs and no two are ever the same, way too many variables from engine hp, rigging, drag, mods etc. When I bought my Super Cub it was pretty much stock on 700 tires with VGs. It has slowly been transformed into what I want for what I do with it and all my mods were one one at a time to see exactly what effect they had on the performance of the airplane. If you want to truly see what the difference in tailwheel height does to your take-off performance get one with your airplane and change the tailwheel in the same day under same conditions. I think the critical attitude is not something you are going to use very much as you are on the very ragged edge and at the mercy of several forces.
    Yes that would be the best way to check the performance. I did not care for the hard thump I felt with the hard rubber wheel while taxiing on our poor hard surface taxiway. Think I want to stay with the scott and softer riding pneumatic 8" wheel, even if I do get in the air a little sooner with a smaller wheel I don't ever fly out of fields short enough to require max performance. Competing in a short takeoff and landing competition sounds like a ton of fun, something like that maybe I would try the smaller tailwheel and practice getting off the ground as fast as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the same experience with the hard rubber. I like the cushion and bouyancy of my Baby Bushwheel. It rides on top of the sand and gravel instead of acting like a plow disc. I want to beat the certified guys with their Catto props so I am pulling every legal trick I can think of this year. After the contest my BBW goes back on.

Post Thanks / Like

Certified Supercub with a Cato prop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Certified Supercub with a Cato prop?
    Yea, There are a lot of blatant cheaters in these contests. Goes on at Vadez as well. It is all for fun, bragging rights and a $5 plaque so I guess it is no big deal. Would be awesome if I could beat them in a legal airplane.