Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel Shimmy and Spring Arch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tailwheel Shimmy and Spring Arch

Hi all,
    I've seen the threads on tailwheel locks, re-arching, etc., but I'd like to hear some opinions on the recommended tailwheel springs for a PA-22/20-160.

Are most people using the PA-20 135 spring (from Univair) on thier PA-22/20s?

What other springs should a person consider?

I've heard of many people using Pawnee springs, but what about PA-18, etc.?

I'm building an experimental pacer and will be using it for grass/dirt/off-road landings mostly.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommended Tailwheel Spring for PA-22/20

Here is the answer to the tail wheel spring loosing it's arch. https://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-1...ngs-s/1893.htm Different temper and more arch. They are working on a bracket for the Piper tailpost. I sent them the clamp to match our airplanes and should find something out in the next few days.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 09-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    Are you saying I should wait for AKB to come out with a tail spring for the PA-22/20s? Or that you think the husky spring would work well on the PA-22/20?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The tailwheel springs supplied by Univair have insufficient arch. We installed a brand new from Univair on Clipper at OSH several years ago. It was still dragging it's tail on the ground and shimmying from lack of proper arch. I would Re-arch yours or wait for one that is properly engineered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Husky spring originated from the Piper spring and as they went up in gross weight the spring got more leaves but lost it's arch quickly. I hear Univair made them for Aviat. Bill Duncan at AK Bushwheels was selling Aviat tail wheels and they kept bending the steering arms. He would not warrant the bent arms because their tail spring arch was at the wrong angle thus the steering arms were bending trying to turn the tailwheel. Bill started supplying Aviat with tail springs and added a little more arch and changed the temper to make them last. The thing I am waiting on right now it the two bolt clamp that attaches the tail spring to the tailpost. The Husky is wider than the Piper one. Wup at AK Bushwheels is working on one to fit the Piper fuselage using their Husky tail spring which is wider thus the Piper bracket won't fit. Luckily they now make a PA18 spring that works great on our Short Wings.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 09-26-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha...thanks, Steve.

I can't re-arch the spring I have now, because I don't have one...just looking for recommendations?
    Last edited by chrisg; 03-20-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    You might consider using a PA-25 TW spring. Stiffer, wider, and better suited for the heavier 22/20 airframe. Been known to solve arch and shimmy problems on Scott 3200 equipped PA22/20 conversions.
    Brian
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new set of Univair tail springs because I thought my originals had lost their camber, but the new ones were exactly the same as my old ones, nothing gained and $125.00 poorer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got letters dating way back to Univair addressing this problem, too bad they won't fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my new set of springs from Univair, they went straight to the spring shop to meet my dwg before I installed. They are over 7 years old and doing fine
    "Progress is our most important problem"