Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plug fouling on one magneto only?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Plug fouling on one magneto only?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Flew a CAP10 some years ago quite a bit, what a sweet flying airplane.
    The CAP must have inherited the Emeraude's handling. I fly the Emeraude for it's wonderful handling, the Acro II for some 'yank and bank', and the Pacer for going places. Lucky for some!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I flew the factory CAP10C into Oshkosh one year for the factory and the controller called me an Emeraude. I remember thinking "this guy knows his airplanes". Through some contacts I had at the FAA I was able to get the C model (carbon spar carry through) added to the Type Certificate Data Sheet.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the air box to get access to the Venturi(2 piece). It wasn't loose. I could then get better access to the idle mixture screw and found it was over 2 turns out when the manual says it is normally about 3/4 to 1 turn out. As the idle jets are at the rear of the carb, I imagine that it would be feasible for the rear cylinders to run quite rich. After putting it all back together and doing the idle mixture/ idle RPM adjustment tango, the idle is set up perfectly with the screw about 1 turn out. Run up is now normal, and after a short 10 min flight the carbon fouling on the #2 upper plug was almost nonexistent. I'll do another longer flight in the morning and pull the plugs again, but I suspect the issue is resolved.
    Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by 59pacer; 12-27-2022 at 05:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I flew the factory CAP10C into Oshkosh one year for the factory and the controller called me an Emeraude. I remember thinking "this guy knows his airplanes". Through some contacts I had at the FAA I was able to get the C model (carbon spar carry through) added to the Type Certificate Data Sheet.
    There was always some doubt in my mind as to what model my Emeraude was. It first flew in '64 and there have been various model numbers attached to it from the official CASA registry down through various owners. I found someone at the registry in Canberra who was able to access the original airworthiness paperwork in Sydney and that revealed that the original plans showed Piel Emeraude 100, so the registry has been corrected--as have my personal details on the forum.